BrianM

Moving Astra to main container?

Someone at the DZ today told me that some people have had their Astra AAD's installed in the main tray instead of the reserve tray so that the batteries can be replaced without opening the reserve.

Does anyone know anything about this? What is involved in the mod?
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Someone at the DZ today told me that some people have had their Astra AAD's installed in the main tray instead of the reserve tray so that the batteries can be replaced without opening the reserve.

Does anyone know anything about this? What is involved in the mod?

A violation of the TSO?

Mick.

I'm not disagreeing with you Mick, but why? Is there anything that says you can't add an AAD to a main container? I know student programs used to use FXC's on the mains....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

JP, I think what he is refering to is moving the sensor unit into the main container but still leaving the cutter in the reserve. This is so you can replace the batteries if you happen to leave it on for a while with out having to repack the reserve. I'm pretty sure its a TSO violation.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Clarification: ASTRA is unique because its air pressure sensors are in the same box (aka. control head) as the switch and little flashing light. The other box is full of batteries. An ASTRA control head must be mounted outside the reserve container, somewhere are the yoke. FXC chose that location because it gave them the most consistent air pressure in a variety of body positions (belly, head down, sit, etc.).

Your statement would have been correct if you were referring to any other electronic AAD (Argus, Cypres, MARRS, Sentinel, etc.)

Good idea, but the rigger risks losing his license if anyone complains to the FAA, AFP, CSPA, etc.

If I did that modification, I would want to add an extra layer of foam to protect the battery box and an extra layer of paperwork to protect my license.

That layer of paperwork would have to originate at the FXC factory and be approved by the container manufacturer.

JP, I think what he is refering to is moving the sensor unit into the main container but still leaving the cutter in the reserve. This is so you can replace the batteries if you happen to leave it on for a while with out having to repack the reserve.

Exactly what I meant - I should have been more clear in my original post.

The only reference I have been able to find is on FXC's Astra page, where it says: "The smooth rounded corners on the space saving low volume battery pack prevent wear spots in the reserve container and permit mounting in the main container." I assume it would be up to the container manufacturer?
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg