lippy

Thinking of a career change

This is mostly me bitching about my work, so if you don't want to read somebody bitchin it's a good time to stop reading:$

After almost 6 years working for these guys I think I'm done. I started working for a small oilfield services company back in 2001 fresh out of school and they treated me good. I spent two years in Canada with these guys, a year in Lousianna, 1 in Ft. Worth, 1 year in Odessa TX and now Ojeda Venezuela. Then we got bought out by a slightly bigger company and it was alright, and then we got bought out by a multinational conglomerate and it fucking sucks! Between big company policy and Venezuelan efficiency it's damb near impossible to get anything done, and I'm sick of spending hours and hours to do the simplist of tasks because I've gotta get approval from 8 bosses to buy a fucking wrench.

So, next week I'm off to Canada to talk to some people who were smart enough to jump ship when this place started going down hill and now are in pretty nice positions at some pretty nice companies. And for some strange reason they respect me enough after knowing me all these years to offer me work. I'm bummed about leaving Ven and all the cool people I've met here, but with 70-80 hour work weeks, shitty pay and no time off I've had enough.

Skydive Venezuela rocks but it's a far-ass trip that gets pretty expensive, and with the frequency I can get out of this town I show up, get a reserve repack, do 4 jumps and realize I've forgotten how to fly, then come back to this shitty town. I'm hoping to move to Calgary where I lived when I learned to jump and the community there is pretty frick'n sweet.

One good thing about this last stint was learning Spanish. Now I finally know what that little dog was saying...He wants some Taco Bell
I got nuthin

lets see...i have been,a paper boy, a waiter, a tropical fish salesman, a mechanic, an asbestos abatement technician (for 3 days, that was rediculas) a electrical construction project manager, a aireal editor for navigational GPS databases, a film set construciton office manager, a touring hot air balloon crew chief, a tour manager for promational campaigns, a truck driver, a general contractor, painter, tiler, and now i am starting a swiming pool service company. go with it, go with what makes you money, happy, and keeps you near a decent dropzone!

I thought Venezuela nationalized and took control of their oil industry? Or is that only the actual drilling part, etc.?
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I beleive it's the drilling, but we still have a few of our service units on drilling rigs that are owned by expat companies so I'm not sure. As for service companies all the big boys are here as well as quite a few Venezuelan Ma and Pop operations.

6 days from Canada and I can't wait!
I got nuthin