RkyMtnHigh

Arthroscopic Surgery

You guys are being way too supportive. Doesn't anyone have some horror stories that we can use to freak her out? Let's have fun!!!:)
Love ya, Katie-mean it:P:)

You're mean Shane:|
:D

Thanks Kevin for the detailed description of what to expect.

I just had this surgery done the end of January 2007 (3+ months ago) and I was jumping by the end of March -- 2 months later. I had torn cartilege on both sides of my knee and he also did some scraping while he was in there.

The only painful part of the jumps in March and early April was the 25 min. ride to altitude in a Cessna. The doctor was definitely not real enthusiastic about my jumping that early, but he did not say I couldn't. However, my first several landings were intentional butt slides. As of now, I have very little, if any, residual pain.

All in all, it was definitely worth it to have the surgery done even though I have never been a "good" patient. Good luck!

He made 3 incisions on my knee (2 on the inside and 1 on the outside) and right now (3+ months later) the 1 on the outside is barely noticeable and the 2 on the inside of my knee look like little dimples. But, of course, I'm not real young (56 yrs. old) so I don't heal up quite so fast.

What about scarring?

I heard that it looks like someone played a tic-tac-toe game on your leg with a chainsaw when they were done but it doesn't bother you too bad because you're too busy learning how to walk again after they put your foot on backwards....it's just what I heard:):):):P
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

You guys are being way too supportive. Doesn't anyone have some horror stories that we can use to freak her out? Let's have fun!!!:)
Love ya, Katie-mean it:P:)

Unfortunately, I do have a horror story.

Three years ago the bank business manager in charge of our account, a terrific woman ~ 40 years old in excellent health, went in to have a knee done arthroscopically on a Friday afternoon. She died on Saturday.

Apparently, a blood clot migrated to her lung and it wound up killing her. She complained of discomfort during the day Saturday but decided to tough it out. When she went in it was too late. My sister-in-law was one of the ER nurses that worked on her and she told me she would have been fine if she had come in even a couple of hours later.

So, if you are having anything happening out of the ordinary get to a hospital!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Because of a torn cartilege, looks like I might have to have arthroscopic surgery on my knee. The doc said it's done on an outpatient basis and drills a hole in each side of the cartilege and shaves off the "hangnail" which is what the tear looks like. If you've had this procedure, how long did it take for recovery?

I've had that done! Back when someone messed my knee up playing soccer. walking right after the surgery. do some PT you're back to normal in a few months. Walking is fine though.. no problems what so ever :-)
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

I smashed the begeesus out of my miniscus (crescent shaped cartilege in the knee, shock absorber in knee) doing a backflip (it's ok I got the girl! :P). After a couple of incident of having my knee lock when kneeling (once tying my shoe and once in the middle of...well it ruined the mood to say the least). I went to the Doc. Had a minisectomy, arthoscopic to remove the whole piece of cartilage. I recommend having local, 3 needles in my back and I was out from the belly button down, got to watch the whole thing, it was SICK in a cool way. 3 holes in the Knee, can barely see the tiny scars (man up!). I was walking the next day, what helped with the recovery was a spring loaded vacuum bag clipped to my pants/belt with a hose going into one of the holes in my knee. The bag sucked out blood which would have caused my knee to swell and healing to take longer, two days later bag removed and final hole stitched up. I was having sex that night no problems ;) . Long term no problems! I can sprint with no pain (I try not to cause I know with no cartilage I am wearing down the bone which could hurt if I ever get old, hah). Oh, I can tell you when a low pressure front is moving in, which is a faking awesome party trick. And sadly I may never be able to have sex using that move where you stand on your left leg and grab your right ankle with your right hand with your left hand behind your head (I believe it was a patented MC Hammer Dance move at one point). :(

And the horror story: When I was recovering from surgery I was worried that with all the moving and banging around of my legs, the boys may have been in a tight squeeze I wouldn't know of course cause I couldn't feel below the waist. So I figured I'd just make a trip down south and re-adjust to make sure they weren't being crushed. BAD IDEA!!! Dude! touching your junk with your hand when you can't have the feeling reciprocated from the other end is BAD NEWS!!! It's quite possibly the closest I've been to touching another man's penis. Ladies...RESPECT! I gagged and felt dirty for a good hour...they should really warn you.

I usually only tell that story when I am blazing drunk around a campfire so I hope someone enjoyed it.

I know every surgery is different but I hope you heal as quick as I did, and heed the warning. Peace

And the horror story: When I was recovering from surgery I was worried that with all the moving and banging around of my legs, the boys may have been in a tight squeeze I wouldn't know of course cause I couldn't feel below the waist. So I figured I'd just make a trip down south and re-adjust to make sure they weren't being crushed. BAD IDEA!!! Dude! touching your junk with your hand when you can't have the feeling reciprocated from the other end is BAD NEWS!!! It's quite possibly the closest I've been to touching another man's penis. Ladies...RESPECT! I gagged and felt dirty for a good hour...they should really warn you.

I usually only tell that story when I am blazing drunk around a campfire so I hope someone enjoyed it.
-----------------------

:D:ph34r:OMG! I'm crying laughing my ass off!:ph34r: Great story..thanks for the laugh.

Damn this has been a long 8 week road to recovery..my MCL is healed but the underlying injury of the medial meniscus just became apparent..therefore arthroscopic surgery next Friday. Quick recovery and I'll be glad to have this behind me. My doc said that it's 15 mins for the procedure and anesthesia...but that in 3 weeks I'll be 100% and back to normal activity and sports.

I'm about 6 weeks post procedure. Most days my knee functions normal but some days I wake up to it feeling stiff or acheing. Is this normal? Would glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM help?

Hard to know what "normal" should be. I mangled my meniscus during a tibia plateau fracture (skiing, not skydiving). My knee ached every day for a year and a half after that until I had surgery a second time to remove small chunks of cartilage and some scar tissue (and they also took the screws out of my tibia at that point). My knee was okay for a while, but after about 4 years, I couldn't even walk across a field while pheasant hunting without the pain bringing tears to my eyes. The surgeon didn't want to operate a third time because he thought the odds were better (worse?) than 50/50 that by removing more "material" he'd make it worse instead of better. Since I could no longer walk even down the street without limping, I kept after him. Eventually, he agreed. Two years after that, my knee had hauled my ass and gear up a number of mountains in So. American and Alaska with 4 of them over 18,000 ft. That last surgery was almost 10 years ago and my knee is still good. So what was normal for me after the first and second surgery was not what was normal after the third.

And yes, I do take glucosamine and chondrotin. Some doctors believe it helps, some don't. I believe it does help me, but that may actually be only in my head and not my knee...