skysprite

Job search - sales?

I've been putting in resumes like crazy, but then decided to go ahead and post my resume and make it searchable on the bigger job search sites. I've been getting more emails so that much is good, however they're all for sales positions, and they're mostly for insurance or shipping companies. They're saying that they offer base salary plus commisions (some residual, some not), benefits, phone allowance, car allowance, and in some cases a laptop. It doesn't specify what the day-to-day job is like, but most of them have an initial training program, and ongoing training in some form after that so it reads like they want you to succeed and offer support and guidance as you start out.

So again, it reads well, but are these really as good as they sound? Is anyone currently working in either industry with that type of job that can tell me a little more about it?
~skysprite

I would not EVER do insurance sales!

Shipping - depends on the company. If it's actually with a manufacture or Steamship Line, then yes. If it's with a Forwarding / or brokerage co. - NO. Could also be inland shipping.... trucks and rail are okay.

Most steamship lines do not pay commisions in sales positions - I'd be curious to know what they mean by shipping companies???? If you can get an actual company name I can tell you whether or not they are reputable.

I've been working in the shipping industry for 13 years, and the one good aspect is, if you get a job with a good company there is always room to grow in different departments.

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?