Baksteen

Little things that can really make your day

Know what I'm talking about?
Really small things that you can take a lot of satisfaction out of nonetheless?

Just now, I was wrestling a 500 pound liquid nitrogen container to the cargo lift.
The cargo lift turned out to be full of pesky freshman students, looking at me with a collective cow-like expression, as if they expected me to use the stairwell.

Then suddenly approximately 150 cm of student, with a mouth nearly as big, asked me what was in that container. "Liquid nitrogen? haha! COUGH COUGH COUGH"
I smiled, and then sweetly told him that nitrogen didn't make you cough, as the atmosphere at sea level is made up of nearly 80% nitrogen anyway.
It's an inert gas, I told them, but as you know hot air rises up, and therefore the cold nitrogen in this barrel would displace the relatively hot normal air if it were to evaporate.
Then instead of coughing, the first thing that would happen would be a sort of feeling of contentment or sleepiness. However, you would not notice this, as your judgment would fail simultaneously.
Next, you'd start yawing, and the drowsiness would increase until you simply could not keep your eyes open anymore.
Next, you might have violent epileptic seizures, but you'd not know, as (and here I dropped my voice to a whisper) you'd simply not wake up anymore...

Then, as if by magic me and my nitrogen vessel fit easily into the lift, as I suddenly had the cargo lift all to myself...
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom