rigger_john

changes to manuals

A recent post about Javelin reserve pilot chute & bridle stowing got me thinking so I would like to here some opinions on this.

If a 1991 Javelin comes in for a repack, do you pack it to the current manual or to the one that came with the rig?

What happens when a rig manufacture changes the manual but makes no effort to promalgate any info about the change?

How about rigs like the old Mirage which was made by several diffrent companies, do you have to use a manual from the specific mnufacture or will any of the Mirage manual do?

Riggers . . . your thoughts.

Nullius in Verba

A recent post about Javelin reserve pilot chute & bridle stowing got me thinking so I would like to here some opinions on this.

If a 1991 Javelin comes in for a repack, do you pack it to the current manual or to the one that came with the rig?

What happens when a rig manufacture changes the manual but makes no effort to promalgate any info about the change?

How about rigs like the old Mirage which was made by several diffrent companies, do you have to use a manual from the specific mnufacture or will any of the Mirage manual do?

Riggers . . . your thoughts.

Unless covered under an SB or AD all published editions on record with the FAA are legal. Legal but not nessesarly current in light of any recent findings by the mfg. It is up to the individual rigger to stay apriszed of such changes. Under the rule of law the pre existing instructions are still valid (but not necessarly current) and could still be used.

Most bridle packing changes are done to cosmeticly enhance the apearence of smaller containers not because of some deployment issue or safety concern. Remember, when it comes to gear: It's all about the looks!! At least that's how most of the experienced jumper population sees it.

Just my .02 worth.

Mick.