mwk1976

Newbie Main Size?

Happy New Year,
About 6 years ago I completed the static line to freefall class and coninued fun jumping for about 6 months. I have about 25 jumps. For various lame reasons I stopped jumping. About to do AFF and begin jumping again. Found a great rig. I know 1:1 is best to start out at for wing load, but imagine I will want a little more speed in a short time and would like to have a rig for awhile before selling. What are some experienced jumpers ideas about safety at a 1:1.15 wingload- safe?

That depends on a lot of things: what is your exitweight? For a heavier person, loading a bit higher is less of a problem than for a lighter person, while a featherweight shouldn't even be at 1:1 (ie, no smaller than a 150 for your first canopy at whatever wingload, and a 170 is preferred). Also take in mind the type of canopy (a spectre at 1:1.15 is a very different animal from a sabre 2 at 1:1.15 never mind something more high performance or a F111 canopy), and you didn't mention the reserve, which you really want to load at or under 1:1.0. Also keep in mind the altitude you jump at, if at sea level you're more likely to be ok loading higher than at higher altitudes.

But of course, the only ones who can say for sure if a particular rig is ok for you are your instructors, so go ask THEM instead of unknown persons on the internet ;)

Also, I wouldn't buy a rig just yet: you won't be able to do the AFF jumps with it and depending on size of canopy and local rules you won't be able to jump it straight after either. There'll be deals around always ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I know 1:1 is best to start out at for wing load, but imagine I will want a little more speed in a short time and would like to have a rig for awhile before selling.

If you know something is best, why not do it?

You may want a little more speed in a short time. I know many people who did. You may not. I know many other people who don't. You may be just fine at 1.15 until you learn how to handle it in all conditions. I know many people who have been. You may not. I know many people who weren't.

You can buy a container sized for the main that's right for you now. When you really are ready for more speed, you can sell that main and replace it with a smaller one. In the same container. Then when you think you're ready for even more speed, with most containers you can sell that main and replace it with a smaller one.

If you aren't a hot shot with mad skillz (which, if you're honest with yourself, you probably aren't now and probably won't be 50 or even 500 jumps from now either), that's easily 500 jumps without having to replace the container, reserve or AAD.

So why not start with a main canopy that will allow you to walk away from the inevitable screwup? Especially since you "know 1:1 is best to start out at for wing load."

I know 1:1 is best to start out at for wing load, but imagine I will want a little more speed in a short time and would like to have a rig for awhile before selling.

Hey happy new year to you too....Lets keep it a safe year too. A lot of newbies think the way your thinking and it has come to bite them in the ass because they thought they were different and could handle a little bit more speed.... With that said I would wait at least until your cleared to jump solo and you've talked to your AFF instructors about proper gear for you. They could give you some good valid advice about gear that you never considered. Your instructors are going to have a better idea on you as a student handles the stress of adrenaline.
So my advice is to error on the safe side, but thats my opinion