LisaM

Airborne....

I usually start drinking that stuff early winter. Actually its almost about that time. The trick is to drink it BEFORE you get sick. Even before you think your sick. Whether or not it works, who knows. But I have made it through the last 3 or 4 winters without getting sick.

Both my husband and I use it during cold season and it seems to work pretty well. Even though it's meant to be taken at the first signs of a cold, I think it helps decrease not only the intensity but also the duration. It has lots of good stuff in it anyway (vitamin c, zinc, ecinacea). I think the lemon-lime flavor is the best.
"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me

It's the stuff you take when starting to feel sicky.

Anyone use it? Swear by it? Hate it? Think it's a waste of money?

I use it on occaision, if I feel like my nose is starting to get "that feeling" and while I won't swear by, I definitely don't think it's a waste of money.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

They're nothing more than multivitamin & mineral supplements with some herbals tossed in.

I felt a cold coming on, so I started taking Airborne at the insistence of my wife, who has let herself be convinced that it really works. It turned into severe bronchitis that sent me to the doc & took 4 weeks to clear up.

I'm unconvinced it's any more effective than vitamins or a placebo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airborne_(dietary_supplement)

Effectiveness studies

Scientific studies supporting Airborne's effectiveness are few in number. The study often referenced in favor of Airborne was sponsored by the Knight-McDowell Labs, manufacturers of Airborne.[3] "GNG Pharmaceutical Services Inc.", claims to have conducted this study with 120 people, and reported that 47% of Airborne recipients showed little or no cold or flu symptoms, whereas only 23% of the recipients of a placebo pill showed equal results.[4] However, in February of 2006, ABC News discovered that GNG Pharmaceutical Services has no official clinic, scientists, or even doctors. In fact the company comprises only two men, who started the company just to perform this study. Because of the bad publicity that this controversy has brought forth, Knight-McDowell Labs has removed all references to the study from their packaging and web site.[5]

For full article on Vitamin C and the debate over its appropriate dosages, see Vitamin C.

A medical report on drugs and therapeutics regarding Airborne, along with its emphasis that the evidence of cold prevention or treatment of the formula is inconclusive, gives reason to believe that the supplement is unsafe as directed, specifically regarding its excess of vitamin C:

***There are some concerns. First, there is no conclusive evidence that this product or any of its ingredients prevents colds or shortens their duration. Second, the adult tablet contains 1 g of vitamin C, and the directions for use advise taking 1 tablet at the first sign of a cold and repeating the dose every 3 hours as necessary. Vitamin C in doses higher than 1 g increases oxalate and urate excretion and may cause kidney stones (EN Taylor et al, J Am Soc Nephrol 2004; 15:3225). Third, the safety of this herbal extraction combination has not been established. And with herbs and dietary supplements in general, we only have the manufacturers’ word on the label for what’s in them.[6]

It's the stuff you take when starting to feel sicky.

Anyone use it? Swear by it? Hate it? Think it's a waste of money?

It's great if you want to poison yourself with vitamin A.

"Airborne's 5,000 IUs of vitamin A per serving has become another major health concern. The recommended safe upper limit for vitamin A is 10,000 IUs daily.[9] This amount is easily exceeded when following Airborne's directions, as it is stated on the packaging, to "repeat every three hours as necessary" (with a maximum of three doses per day)" -wikipedia