cpoxon

ntrprnr in the press

again! :P

http://www.mensfitness.com/Peter_Shankman/exclusives/203

The Big Leap
by Cora Daniels

Entrepreneur Peter Shankman, 35, calls himself a guy who “comes up with ideas and turns them into companies.” In 1998 he founded the Geek Factory, a Manhattan-based PR and marketing firm that specializes in over-the-top media events for clients eager to make an impression, including the Walt Disney Company and the chocolate drink Yoo-Hoo, which the firm reinvented by giving the childhood fave an edge and pairing it with loud music and skateboarders. Shankman’s Geeks also gained national buzz for Flying Fingers, a small shop in suburban NYC that sells nothing but yarn (we’re serious), by creating a yarn bus (don’t ask). His book, Can We Do That?! Outrageous PR Stunts and Why Your Company Needs Them, is the out-of-the-box bible. So what does this biz whiz do when he’s not hunting buzz? A marathon runnerand certified skydiver, Shankman enjoys a good endorphin rush just like the rest of us.

MF: Why would you call your firm the Geek Factory?

PS: For years geeks got a bad rap—foureyes and nerds. In the mid-’90s that all changed. Suddenly the guys that got beat up in high school were your boss and making a ton of money. I was a geek, and it sucked growing up. Now it’s payback.

For a geek, you’re pretty fit.

I try to run at least five times a week. Six years ago, the only running I did was to the store for cigarettes. I was the size of a small planet and had smaller fat people around me. One of my employees got me into running. The first race I ever did was a half marathon in 2001. I don’t do anything halfassed; instead I got really into running. On my way to Singapore recently for business I had an 11-hour stopover in Seoul. I found a running group over there and spent the layover running. I’ve been running the NYC marathon since 2004. This year I competed in a triathlon for the first time. I think of running as the anti-client: Clients can drive you crazy, but a good run makes it all better. I am very fortunate to run my own company, because I can take a break in a busy day at work and run in Central Park.

Is running your own company what got you into skydiving?

Work got me to jump out of planes. To generate some publicity for my clients, I organized a CEO skydive. I convinced 150 CEOs to jump out of a plane. It was surprisingly easy: All I had to say was “free publicity.” We had a waiting list of 75 CEOs. When the time came I decided to jump too. If they were willing to do it—why not me? I’ve been jumping once a week ever since. When we first e-mailed you to set up this interview, you just happened to be at the Drop Zone ready for a jump. Do you often work while your life is in danger? I love the fact that with a BlackBerry and WiFi I can spend my Tuesdays skydiving and still get my work done. I actually have gotten some of my best ideas the moment I’ve landed after jumping. When you get to the ground, you are so juiced up, the brilliance just comes. I always carry a digital tape recorder with me to document ideas. You never want to lose an idea.

What do people close to you think about your skydiving?

My friends think I’m an idiot. Some just wish they had the balls to do it. I get such a thrill the days I jump when I catch up with friends that evening and hear about everyone’s crummy day at work, or their game of golf. And when they ask about my day? I get to say I jumped out of an airplane five times! My girlfriend is starting to come around. I can’t wait to throw her out of a plane soon.

So the geek got the girl?

And more. [Laughs]

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Thanks, guys! I was really surprised how well it came out - Thrilled the hell out of me. :) And what's nice is that it wasn't in a business magazine, so I could actually cut a little more loose than normal and have fun with it!

Cool! And, you publically acknowledge a girlfriend. That's almost like being engaged, right? ;)

Silly skymama, it's all about PR and Peter is a Pro.

Girls love a guy that is taken. :P

You need a job? ;)

Cool! And, you publically acknowledge a girlfriend. That's almost like being engaged, right? ;)

Silly skymama, it's all about PR and Peter is a Pro.

Girls love a guy that is taken. :P

You need a job? ;)

Well soon enough I'll have me two jobs. I could use some PR for my second job though down the road;)
Skymama's #2 stalker -