SuperKat

Which Flight Simulator Video Game out there has the most realistic feel? And Why?

I heard that one of these were so realistic it feels as if you're actually flying the plane. I'm buying an X-mas gift for my buddy who is currently in flight school. I think this would be an ideal gift to get him. However, I'd like to get the most realistic feel simulator video game for him.

Do you think buying him a Flight Simulator Yoke and Rudder pedals would be overkill? Would it make a difference or is it just a waste of money?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Edit to add: I didn't realize there were other flight simulator games out there. If you can tell me of others that have a more realistic feel to actually flying a plane, please let me know.

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

If you are only looking at the MS flight simulator range of products, obviouslly the most recent is the best.

I have Flight Simulator X and like it, but I have heard good things about other products out there, X-Plane and such.

FS X is actually pretty good for working on instrument stuff. It won't really help too much as far as actually learning to fly the plane, but it can really help you get comfortable with working with the charts, maneuvering in patterns, and understanding how IFR works.

That goes to show you how much I know about flight simulator games. If you know of any others out there that have a very realistic feel, please throw them out there.

I'll check out those other products that you mentioned as well.

Thanks.

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

The thing that drives me batshit insane about flight simulator games is that it is really hard to "look around." I have a hell of a time figuring exactly where I am and where the airport is. Which I know from being in a cessna quite a bit is just not nearly as hard as it is in the sim.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

The thing that drives me batshit insane about flight simulator games is that it is really hard to "look around." I have a hell of a time figuring exactly where I am and where the airport is. Which I know from being in a cessna quite a bit is just not nearly as hard as it is in the sim.

Well, you could splurge and get two extra monitors and hook them up on both sides, if the game supported them (does it??)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Well, you could splurge and get two extra monitors and hook them up on both sides, if the game supported them (does it??)

Sure but if you lean over towards the monitor you still can't see down!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Sure but if you lean over towards the monitor you still can't see down!

You might by rolling the plane 90 degrees to one side for a quick look.

But you're right, there's nothing better or as good as the real thing.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Not too hard to look around when you have it set up right. Virtual cockpit mode (3D), and a hat switch to look around. Then keyboard shortcuts to move the eye point left and right, up down, forward backward. Then you can move around more like real life to see around your own plane.

FSX is really awesome if your computer is fast enough. FS2004 will run better with higher graphics settings on a slower computer.

My computer is BARELY useable for FSX, but I still prefer it over any previous version.

I just have a microsoft joystick that twists for rudder. A yoke and pedals would be more realistic, but too much stuff to deal with.

Dave

realistic feel

I've given training in a lot of FAA certified Flight Training Devices as well as some PC's with rudder and Yoke attachements.

Problem is that except for the ones that had been modified in house for a cargo airline for which I was a training captain, none that I've used really have a "realistic feel." This is especially true when it comes to pitch inputs and control pressures.

Although they don't really "feel" like a real airplane, all of the ones you've mentioned have the capability of replicating a lot of the procedural aspects of flying. The trick is to recognize the areas in which the device does a really good job and the areas in which it doesn't.

Blue Skies!

Harry
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

The poll options work if all you want to do is fly around.

But if you also want to shoot stuff down or blow stuff up - and who doesn't? - then check out the IL-2 Sturmovik series. The latest incarnation ('1946') came out earlier this year, and it still looks and sounds fantastic for a game that first appeared quite a few years ago.

If you're not into death and destruction, you can turn off all enemies and just fly around in a huge variety of vintage combat aircraft enjoying the view. Or you can add some enemy aces into the mix (in which case, you'll probably also get to do some parachuting!) :D Rounds only, I'm afraid. It is World War II, after all.

Edited to add: Sorry, this doesn't help you buy a present for your friend. I just wanted to plug IL-2 because I love it!