MrHixxx

temp brake setting

This is a crosspost from Swooping. I would like to here from some fellow riggers on this one too...

Hey Folks,

A couple of summers ago Jim Slaton showed me a knot to make a temp setting on a brake line for experimenting with settings for opening. Does anyone or Jim have instructions with photos for doing this? I have a friend that wants to experiment with deeper brake settings on opening to cure some searching his canopy does. Then I can run new catseyes where he wants them.

thanks, Jon
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

Dear Jon,

I don't have any photos and am not familiar/fond of putting knots in a line to shorten them (reducing the strength of it)
Therefore I would rather sugest to finger trap a piece of line above the cats eye to shorten it.
That way you can even remove it during flight if it causes any problem.

Greetings John J.

This is a crosspost from Swooping. I would like to here from some fellow riggers on this one too...

Hey Folks,

A couple of summers ago Jim Slaton showed me a knot to make a temp setting on a brake line for experimenting with settings for opening. Does anyone or Jim have instructions with photos for doing this? I have a friend that wants to experiment with deeper brake settings on opening to cure some searching his canopy does. Then I can run new catseyes where he wants them.

thanks, Jon

In the 70's some canopies had their brakes set by that method (a model escapes me for the moment), it was based on the four line release mechanisim for round canopies. Basiclly you want to mark the line at the point at which you wish to experiment. When this mark is set at the guide ring take a loop of the line below the ring and start a daisy chain USE AT LEAST THREE daisy loops. See the diagram to start the process. PRACTICE it on the ground a few times to make sure you understand how it works.

Mick.

I wonder how well this method will play with Vectran or HMA line? What was the rate of non-releases, and what was the typical course of action in the case of a non-release.

I know on a Velo, one brake that won't release is a deal breaker. Game over.

That looks like the brake setting method for NAA Para-Foil, accuracy canopies.
Apparently, accuracy (precision landing) competitors found - the slight extra friction from - brake locking eyes (cats' eyes) annoying.

Good call!! That's the canopy I was thinking of.

Mick.

Try just putting a daisy chain loop through the existing catseye. That should do it.

Yeah that will work but not accomplish his mission, which is to experiment with different deployment settings. Just using the finger trap loop is akin to using the toggle during normal packing.

Mick.

I am pretty sure that is what I was thinking of. It was a simple thing to make like this (not a wireman's, linesman's or advance scouting technique).

thanks man, Jon

I think it would work fine. Slaton had spoke of using it for test jumping and competing to speed up or slow down openings. So, that would have been assuredly under Vectran lined Icarus canopies. I think I would have more apprehension about Dacron since of the stretching properties allows it to get sinched down tighter (especially when it is old). However, if this was used on old accuracy canopies it they probably had Dacron...

FYI, I am well aware of the the deal breaker on a Velo. I've chopped a friend's when a slider grommet sinched down over a toggle with one brake out. I have also chopped mine afte a brake fire during opening.

thanks, Jon