mrken

Skill Development, Staying Current, & Money (or lack of it)

I have been in this sport for a little more than a year now; and it has really given me some much needed peace in my life.

I am in a bit of a dilemma, entirely caused by money. I have been working part time while going to school full time, I also receive a small grant. As you may have guessed, most of my money has gone into the sport. I am at a point where my checking account is going down to the triple digits. I have messed around with RW, both here and with several Germans I met while studying abroad.

I've recently been pouring my money into tunnel time since I wanted to begin the freefly path. I have been doing okay with backflying, and walking around is cool too. Right now I am working on getting up off my back and into a sit; but thats still tough for me right now since I seem to keep driving forward.

Anyway, to pay for this, I have been craigslisting and ebaying crap. Luckily enough, I have been able to pay for nearly an hour thus far that way and have not had to dive into those last precious funds. However, I know there is only so much stuff left to sell.

To further increase the difficulty, I am moving to Germany for almost a year in January. I will have student loans and a partial scholarship. Unforunately, I discovered that lift tickets are more than double the cost there vs where I have jumped in the States. I guess I am concerned with skill depreciation, and whether or not I should continue this freefly route right now since I am likely to be in the sky about half as much as I am right now. At the same time I want to be able to jump and learn from other freefliers, so I know the skills I am practicing right now is so that I am at least not/less of a danger to them.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation like this? I find it surreal how much I am letting this move me :$

The sky isn't going anywhere, finishing your education is important. Life is all about balance. Skydiving is amazing, I still love every jump I get to make. However, there was a time when I was in a similar situation to you, I chose to cut way back on skydiving. Student loans have to be paid back, remember that. Using money set aside for school to skydive can limit your income for years to come as you repay those loans.. Im not saying give up the sport, I am saying set yourself a budget and stick to it. Your financial future is in your hands plan for it now.

God, I sound like my father.....

Don't start selling your stuff. Skydiving isn't going anywhere. Your account if falling into the triple digits? so is mine, $2.72 last time I checked, my bank hates me.
“Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier than helping someone move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load his shit into a truck.”

Im in almost the same situation as you right now. IT SUCKS, I wanna cry[:/] no money and no time with school and all. I was so mad that I couldnt jump as much as I like that I almost sold my gear, but I got talked out of it(thank god)
Now I just kinda accepted the fact that I wont be able to skydive that much right now. I know that really isnt a great sounding solution to you but thats just the fact of my life