wayne8577

Triathalon 220 real sq ft

Anyone know the real vol and sq ft on the 220 tri?

I believe a 220sq ft tri is 220sq ft. ;) (No weird stuff like the original Safires or anything that I can think of).

As far as pack volume, it depends on when it was made. The older tri's were made with the Gelvanor ZP, which seems to pack a little larger than the current stuff they're using (on the up side it's a lot less slippery than the new stuff).

aye, I asked that question before.

the year of manufacturer may also be key here - the older rev Tri versus the current one.

I switched mine for a new 210 this spring but it's beyond me to guess the difference. I know it's harder to pack and seems to have a bit more drive in high wind, but it's all a bit fuzzy. Dbag stuffing is easier ultimately, but the fabric change accounts for a lot there too.

PIA has a procedure for measuring the size of rectangular canopies. It falls apart when you get to ellipticals. But, not all manufacturers use the same method and some simply round sizes to give relative but not real numbers, more like models. What the comparative size is is more important. One reason PD reserves seem to handle more weight is that PD's measuring method gives smaller numbers. That's one reason why they seem to pack bigger and fly bigger. They are bigger.;)

PD is just one example. Aero_dyne's web site span x chord gives 218 for the 220.

But even more important is the performance. Do you like how a 220 flies? Or do you want a 210? And do you like that better than a Sabre 210. That's the question, not what size is one or the other really. Pack volume? Does it fit in X? is the question. Not what size is published for a canopy and what size is published for a container. See other discussion.;)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE