2fat2fly

Remember Maine-Travel help

Not the Maine, the state Maine. I wanna take my wife somewhere we've never been over the summer and someone suggested Maine-just a fly in, rent a car and toola round week. Any suggestions, feedback, what should we do, what should we avoid. Thanks a ton-If I impress her and make her happy, I get laid and life is good:)
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

Go to Bar Harbor. The old port in Portland is cool. Madillac Mountain, Boothbay, Bath, are all cool towns. Stick along the coast. Rent a sea kayak, take a float plane ride, go pick blueberries. Maine is really pretty. PM me if you want super details. I grew up there and my parents still live there.

Go to Bar Harbor. The old port in Portland is cool. Madillac Mountain, Boothbay, Bath, are all cool towns. Stick along the coast. Rent a sea kayak, take a float plane ride, go pick blueberries. Maine is really pretty.

That is exactly what we were thinking of doing soon.

I love the east coast and have never been to Maine--always wanted to go. We were thinking late spring or early summer.

2fat2fly have you already taken your trip? How was it?

I'm also curious to hear any other recommendations. I'm a coastal girl and am more interested in the sea-life and activities close to the coastline. I was hoping to do some sailing and whale-watching. And I'd really love to drive around some older, quaint towns on the coast.

:)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

white water rafting in millinocket. great fun! if you want to sneak in a jump later, there is a dz there as well, but it's a cessna, mostly tandem operation. you can go south to lebanon to visit skydive new england, they have an otter. once you're there, you can sneak across to new hampshire to visit the tunnel.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

i'm not sure... i'm in new brunswick, so the first time i went to millinocket i crossed at st. stephen/calais and went cross country, the second i just crossed at woodstock/houlton and took i95. it's nice, rural country, no big mountains or anything, but it's all foresty and rolling hills. if you do the millinocket thing, you're right next to baxter state park and mount katahdin (i probably spelled that wrong, but i think i got all the letters in there!) if you're into the hiking/mountain climbing thing.

oh, we went with north country rivers. great bunch, never had a problem with them in 3 different outings.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Go to Bar Harbor. The old port in Portland is cool. Madillac Mountain, Boothbay, Bath, are all cool towns. Stick along the coast. Rent a sea kayak, take a float plane ride, go pick blueberries. Maine is really pretty. PM me if you want super details. I grew up there and my parents still live there.

It's pronounced "Bah Habah"... =)

Ok, all of the above, plus check out Cadillac Mountain you can go early in the AM and be part of the first rays of sun to hit the continental US (not sure what time of the year this works). See if Moosehead Lake has anything of interest to you. I don't know of "Casey's Camps" are still in operation, but I spent a few vacations up there as a kid and it was amazing.

Hit Skydive New England in Lebanon Maine at some point, too. They have tenting and bunkhouses and the facilities has been updated quite a bit in the last couple years. The DZ in Millinocket is a tandem show for the most part, but call ahead and let them know you are going and they can tell you the score. They have run some students through in the last couple years, tho. They come to SNE once in a while for some turbine fun.

Also...as for rafting...in Millinocket is "Boatman's" bar...its also a campground. Owned buy a skydiver, and the instructors at the Millinocket DZ go there, so you'll be in familiar company.