normiss

"Rollover" ads...

I agree. The only thing that sucks worse are these ads that Yahoo seems to have fallen in love with where the ad overgrows the whole damn page with cars driving across the screen and bugs crawling here and there and you can't even read anything that's on the damn page until you find the incredibly small "x" that you need to click to shut it down.

I wonder if there's a critical mass of advertising possible in any one media. I'm afraid that in most forms of media we're quickly reaching the point where the advertising is more than the actual content I wanted to watch. I'm watching the hockey playoffs and 10% of the screen is taken by the channel's logo, another 10% by whoever is "sponsoring" the score at the top of the screen (which takes up some of the screen itself), there are ads all over the boards, and we go to the Dodge intermission to watch the highlights from the "so-and-so" sponsored powerplays and watch the "XYZ" play of the game with on-ice commentary brought to you by "I don't give a damn". And this is all during the actual game, which ends up sandwiched between the ever-longer commerical breaks.

The day the "TV time out" became commonplace, my heart broke a little bit; that's the day the cart finally came before the horse.

I know, I know, just don't watch, right? Well, I'm quickly reaching that point.

Elvisio "B|" Rodriguez