ericfradet

why placing mesh and fabrics in between conical spring reserve pilot chute ?

hello,
I have seen some manufacturer ( PF for instance)recommanding to place mesh and fabrics in between coils, on some conical reserve pilot chute, which are not supposed to lock compare cylindrical .
Do they think it really helps? or is it to keep the spring "on heading" which is not easy when the spring is quite strong ?
Someone has a though about that?

I've wondered that as well. Seems that pinching the fabric with the springs causes damage, and that over many repacks this would add up and compromise the drag of the chute. But I guess it all works out okay, since I'm sure it's been considered.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

< snip>
fabrics in between coils, on some conical reserve pilot chute, which are not supposed to lock compare cylindrical .

"Not supposed to" and never, are a long way apart. Every spring loaded pilot chute has the potential (think about that one) to lock it's coils, call stuffing the fabric between coils "insurance"

Mick.

What Mick said...

Basically, some manufactures tell you to stuff the fabric & mesh evenly in-between the coils as you compress the spring, otherwise, a "spring-lock" can happen when the pilot chute goes to launch. Other manufactures want you to put the fabric in-between just the top coils... while still others don't want any fabric between any part of the coils. Depending on what type of spring is used is a factor, but it also comes down to the rigger should pack the reserve in accordance with the manufactures instructions.

I've packed my Talon94 many times, and its a rig where Sandy's instructions are to suff the material in-between the coils to avoid a "spring-lock" and I can see where that's a good thing to do given the conical style sping he uses. I've also paced my Javelin many times where you don't stuff the fabric in-between the coils, just roll it under the cap and bottom flap afterwards. I've pulled the reserve handles on both my Talon94 and Javelin, both on the ground prior to a repack & and in the air after chopping my mal'ed main, and they've both lauched just fine... always... knock wood...
:)