packerboy

Skyhook mod, what to expect?

I am sending my rig to RW to get modded for a skyhook.

Before I ask, I fully intend to talk to someone there about everything, but in the meantime.....

What can I expect to be done/sold to me?

I know they need to install an aux flap on my ??reserve container??

I have a non RSL fitted rig w/ homemade risers, what about RSL rings and new handles, freebag, bridle etc. etc.?

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

First take off the main and reserve. Cover any velcro (hook) and make sure your container is clean or else they will wash it for you and the cost can add up there.....

Include the cut away handle .. No need for the main or reserve unless you do not have the RSL.... Make sure you ship it a traceable method with insurance. Inside include a note of what you want done and how to contact you if needed........ Make sure your contianer is placed inside a plastic bag .. just in case it is raining the day of pick up or delivery.// (transport).////

I hope that this assist you and enjoy this great system......

Thanks Ken..;);)
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

From Bill Booth:

"To install a Skyhook from scratch you have to 1. Disassemble, and sew an RSL attachment ring to the right riser. 2. Sew an RSL bridle path over the right shoulder. 3. Shorten the reserve freebag bridle and sew a Skyhook to it. 4. Remove the single long 3-ring housing, and replace it with a split housing for the Collins' Lanyard. 5. Fabricate and install the Skyhook bridle attachment "pockets" and flap to the top reserve pilot chute kicker flap. 6. Fabricate the combination RSL, Collins' Lanyard, and Skyhook Lanyard. And 7. Put the "whole nine yards" together.

Needless to say, this is much easier to do on a new rig while you are making it. As an option on a new Vector III, we charge $175. This is actually quite a deal when you consider that a lost reserve freebag and pilot chute cost $195 to replace, and the Skyhook greatly lowers the chance you will ever lose your freebag.

But as I said above, all this is theoretical, because we have not tested the Skyhook on Vector II's and therefore do not offer a retrofit."

Yeah... I'm wondering if they'll mod non RWS risers for the RSL ring, or I'll have to buy new ones. Also, I believe I have to get a new reserve handle with the loop instead of a pin.

I am actually sending my rig w/ someone so I don't have to ship it and I am including everything. Their payment for taking it there for me is that they have a second rig to jumpe when they are down there.

Anyone know what RWS charges for a reserve pack job?

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

I would suspect that you will have the whole RWS standard skyhook set up when done.

RWS Risers (why assume liability for a set of Home mades?)
RSL Reserve pin and reserve cable loop end set up.

That is what Bill builds and it is no secret, plus it seems to work.

All in all it is a good set up for most skydivers.
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!