GAZ14

Which cypress?

Hi, i`m currently in the process of buying a second hand rig but am getting it all seperatley. So far I have a javelin container and a reserve, now I`m looking for a cypress but am not clear on the different models and some say they are up for servicing. How much does it cost to service a cypress and how often do they need it? Any info will be very helpfull.

This question really belongs in the "Gear and Rigging" Forum.

Operationally, there is little difference between Cypres 1 and Cypres 2.
The only significant difference is that if you dip a Cypres 1 in a puddle, it is scrap, whereas if you dunk a Cypres 2 less than 15 feet deep (5 meters) for less than 15 minutes, it can be repaired by your local rigger.

First of all, Cypres 1 was manufactured from 1991 to 2003, so any Cypres 1 that you buy will be second-hand. The good news is that the price of second-hand Cypres 1 drops by about $100 per year, so you can pick up a 10 year old Cypres 1 CHEAP!

The disadvantage with Cypri is that they only have a 12 year life. After 12 years, all Cypres must be retired. Ergo, the first batches of Cypres 1 have already retired and you must keep age in mind when purchasing used Cypri.

Similarly, all Cypri must make a pilgrimage to the factory of their birth when they are 4 years and 8 years old.
Batteries - in Cypres 1 - must be replaced every 2 years, 500 jumps or when you get an error code. Fortunately your local rigger can replace batteries in Cypres 1.
Cypres 2 batteries can only be replaced at the factory, but since Cypres 2 batteries are on a 4 year cycle, they are replaced during the 4 year check.
For more detailed explanations, visit the Airtec or SSK websites.

www.cypres.cc

www.sskinc.com

Check the documentation on the Cypres. The packing data card should say when the Cypres was installed and when the batteries were last changed, also if the unit has ever been fired (if it has, so much the better, nothing like "field testing' to show that it works) and the cutter replaced. Find out when the next service is due and when the batteries are due (on Cypres 1, the new model is done at the 4 year services). Your rigger can help you find that information, he has to know it in order to legally repack the reserve anyway.

Some people make a stink about the Cypres needing servicing when the Vigil doesn't. If you don't want the servicing, get a Vigil, they're a fine AAD. But personally, I'm not sure I want to trust a brand new product without some kind of periodic servicing and Vigils haven't been around long enough to show they're just as good after 4 years without being serviced. Hopefully they will be, but I don't want to be a test subject to find out.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !