tcnelson

cleaning vectran line

has anyone ever tried to clean synthetic polymer fiber such as vectran (in my case) or spectra or etc...(all polyesters)

i purchased a used canopy with excessively dirty lines and i would like to know if water and mild soap would be okay for cleaning them.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

"Dirty" looking Vectran is quite normal. There's nothing that I know that you can do about it, nor should it concern you. With Vectran, what you should be looking for is 'pitting'. Look for excessive amounts of fibres sticking out the side of the lines (looks a little like fluff).

Vectran starts out wheat yellow and goes grey rather quickly it's nothing to be concerned about.

Blues.
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

has anyone ever tried to clean synthetic polymer fiber such as vectran (in my case) or spectra or etc...(all polyesters)

i purchased a used canopy with excessively dirty lines and i would like to know if water and mild soap would be okay for cleaning them.

Leaving them as they are would be my suggestion!
You would probably do more harm than good.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Vectran quickly dis-colors from its natural wheat yellow to grey in the first hundred jumps. Heating (from slider grommets) changes the color and strength of Vectran.
Consider replacing your Vectran lines after 300 jumps (tandem) or maybe a bit later (400 - 600) for solo canopies.

Vectran quickly dis-colors from its natural wheat yellow to grey in the first hundred jumps. Heating (from slider grommets) changes the color and strength of Vectran.
Consider replacing your Vectran lines after 300 jumps (tandem) or maybe a bit later (400 - 600) for solo canopies.

Rob,
I have to totally disagree with you here!

The dis-color comes from the SS grommets. The vectran polishes them just like polishing silverware.

The heat from the slider friction does not effect the lines or it's strength.(sure, over time the friction has some effect) The melting point is through the roof compared to Spectra and dacron.

I relined over 700 canopies last year and at least half of them were Vectran.
I probably saw maybe two or three canopies with broken lines, Maybe!!! and those had over 800 jumps on them.

Vectran has changed the way it is braided since the very first applications.
The earlier canopies had a problem, agreed, but not since the carrier and fiber count was increased and a synthethic coating applied.

Again,
If vectran lines are breaking, we do not see them here.

Blue ones,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com