LittleOne

Vector 3 M series vs. Racer 2K3

Neither feature makes either rig the safest rig on the market.

Then what feature does and what is the "safest rig on the market"?

It depends on what your purposes are.

Personally, I can't think of a single feature on any rig that makes it the safest rig on the market.

The fact is, we don't know what circumstances we are going to face on our future skydives. A Skyhook may save one persons life after a canopy collision at 200 feet. The superior reserve pin protection of the Racer, Icon, Wings, Odyssey, etc could save someone else's life. The cordura BOC pouch of a Wings or Reflex could prevent a premature main deployment that might have occured with use of a Spandex pouch.

There are lots of features that save lives. Most of them do so in such a manner that you never know that it was beneficial, by preventing something. Some features, like the Skyhook, are rarely beneficial, but it is pretty obvious the times they do help, or at least when they are used.

In other words, some features are preventative, and some features are cures. Prevention is generally more beneficial, but cures get the accolades.

What is the safest rig on the market? I'll soon be in the market to buy a new container. I have it narrowed down to four different models, with a front runner. Safety is the primary factor, followed by comfort. The primary use will be skyflying. However, the safest rig for my purposes may not be the best choice for you. IMO there is not a single safest rig; freflying, skyflying, RW, CRW, etc. place different demands on our equipment.

IMO there is no single safest rig. They all have features that make them safe, but none are absolutely bulletproof.

For Great Deals on Gear

Then what feature does and what is the "safest rig on the market"?

Depends on who you ask.

I'd say all the major rigs are safe. whether you live or die sometimes depends on your behavior not your equipment. If someone told me they were buying a certain rig because the reserve opens in 75 ft after cut away I'd say why do you need that? Avoid the situation (like canopy collision, cutting away at an unsafe altitude, grabing cut away handle only) it the first place. Don't rely on equipment to save your ass.