Velocity03

First Rig

Looking for a dependable, safe, and good all around for a first rig. Have been looking around and reading reviews on this site and others. What would you say to this setup as a first rig. Trying to keep a low price.

Dolphin 2005 Container
Falcon Main
Smart Reserve

Any suggestions would be nice.
:)

Nothing wrong with any of it. One question though..why the Falcon as a main? You do realize they all F-111. If price is a question, check out some of the dealer sites, i believe Precison has a 35 or 40% sale right now...if it isn't Precision doing the sale i know of one dealer offering it. (i won't mention names of dealers on here though...you can message me for that)
"GOT LEAD?"

First, fill in your profile so we have a better idea of who you are.

Second, specific canopies depend on your weight. So anybody giving you advice would need that information.

Third, you local instructors are the best for advice since they know your skill level.

As to the general items without regard to their size related to your size:

Think of a Dolphin as a generic container. It's a Chevy not a Cadillac. I don't know how freefly friendly a Dolphin 2005 is since I haven't seen a Dolphin in several years. I expect though that they have made it freefly friendly in response to the market.

A Smart reserve is fine but the size depend entirely on your size.

As to the main, it will also be dictated by your size. The Falcon is a NON ZP nine cell. Most people, including newer jumpers, are chosing ZP canopies. They have several advantages over a Falcon type canopy. Also a used ZP canopy is likely to be in better condition than a used non ZP canopy.

You don't mention an AAD. A good idea. Used ones are available for a few hundred dollars with a few years left.

If your ment new gear, most of us won't recommend new gear for a new jumper. You need to learn for a couple hundred jumps then you'll be ready for a different main. You most likely won't be able to keep the same harness and downsize to your final main after a few hundred jumps. Better to buy good used gear, then pass it on to the next student to gain experience on.

About all the answer your going to get without more information.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Why are u not buying secondhand......if money is an issue?
I would prefer a second hand zp canopy from PD above some cheaper new canopies. I can understand a new rig in a way of having it made to measure, but secondhand cypress or reserve or a good second hand main is not a bad deal either as you probably will downsize ur main in the near future

Dolphin 2005 Container
Falcon Main
Smart Reserve

I would recommend a used zero porosity canopy (such as a Spectre or Sabre2) over a new F111 canopy.

The main and container you have mentioned will likely be more difficult to sell when the time comes, and may not bring as much of the original price as other choices will.

Equipment sized for common body sizes and canopies appropriate for new jumpers maintain their resale value best, and are usually pretty easy to sell after a season or two, provided they are well cared for.

There are a few containers that offer exceptional value.

Feel free to PM or email me for more information and prices.

Chris
[email protected]