FFlyer

Types of Yoga

My girlfriend has recently started skydiving and is constantly stiff and sore for days after every skydive. I know a lot of skydivers do yoga (or something similar) to help with general strength, flexability and balance. I have also heard that a good number of world class skydivers at the top of our sport swear by yoga.

So I did a bit of research and it seems like iether Hatha or Ashtanga would be a good choice. They both seem very different from each other though.

What type of yoga would you all suggest with the primary aim of it being to benifit skydiving?

Also, if there are any yoga dvd's to do at home you'd recommend, please let me know. Are there any dvd's that have a choice of different length classes, say 30mins and 60mins?

Thanks

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=699

Might be a good place to start. I've only taken one series of beginner hatha yoga classes, so I'm far from an expert. I'm sure there's others who can provide better info than me.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have several Rodney Yee tapes that I don't use enough, but have recently been using them again. They can be found under the Gaiam label. I've also taken classes from time to time - many from a good friend of mine who teaches with a blend of Iyengar, Hatha and Ashtanga. I've probably taken around 30 Bikram classes too, but it has been about 3 years now since any Bikram. Bikram, since it is in a room heated from about 100 to 110 is like yoga boot camp. It gets you in shape. I have had scoliosis all my life and I really feel much better when I am consistent about practicing it several times a week. Pilates is also good and has many similar poses. I would say that any consistent, intense stretching practice would be beneficial. Just like with any sport, hobby, etc., you need to be consistent about it for it to help.