ntrprnr

Quick Question for any NZ'ers on DZ

Hey NZ'ers...

Trying to figure out if I should accept an ad for blankets made from the fur of the Australian Brushtail possum - I'm leaning very, very heavily towards no, as fur goes against my morals.

Person who I'm talking to is trying to explain to me that the Australian Brushtail possum is apparently wreaking havoc on NZ, and that it's a species with no known enemies, so humanely killing it like this is actually good for the people.

Like I said, I've pretty much made up my mind, but I promised the person I'd ask around and get other opinions.

So, if anyone from NZ knows more about this than me, I'd love your thoughts.

And no, I don't need this to turn into a fur vs. non-fur debate, thanks. I know where I stand on that and am very comfortable with my decision - I just promised this person I'd get more than just my opinion, and the best place I know of to find people from NZ is on DZ.

Thanks!

From Wikipediea...

Brushtailed possums are also very intelligent creatures, with brainpower comparable to a dog.

European settlers aiming to establish a wild source for food and fiber and fur pelts for clothing introduced the Common Brushtail to New Zealand, where there are now about 70 million Common Brushtail Possums. The Maori named them paihamu, pai for "excellent" and hamu for "forager". Their introduction has been ecologically damaging because the native vegetation has evolved in the absence of mammalian herbivores. Possums selectively browse native vegetation causing particular damage to broadleaved trees, notably Metrosideros species including rata. This leads to competition for food with native forest birds, changes in forest composition and eventually canopy collapse. Possums are opportunists and will predate the eggs of nesting native birds. They do not have so much impact on Southern Beech (Nothofagus), but their presence tends to reduce the species diversity of Nothofagus forest since they eat many of the other species that would naturally be present. The predation of bird eggs and chicks and has led them to be referred to as "reluctant folivores" in that they eat foliage to survive but prefer other foods.[3]
Tact is not my specialty.....

Dirty Sanchez #453