Cashmanimal

I actually want to go postal

I moved into a new apartment January 20th. My landlord said I needed to go to the post office to get my key, so I did. Post office wanted a copy of my lease contract, which I didn't get a copy of because their copier was broken.

Waited a week to get my copy. Went, ordered my mailbox key. They said 5-7 business days.

Went back 10 business days later, no key. They said they were running behind, come back in 2 days, it will definiely be there.

Went back, not there.

Gave them another week + a phone call, still not there.

In this time, I missed a credit card payment, and important paperwork for a standardized test. Also, my bank informed me the box of checks i had ordered were returned to them because of a mailbox problem. This in turn led to me being late on my rent payment, as I had no checks and no time to get a cashier's check.

Now, I am ~$100 deep in late fees thanks to my lack of receiving mail, and I couldn't take the standardized test that I had to re-register for and pay another $25 non-refundable fee. (can I blame the post office for any of this? I know there were other ways of getting this info, but not with my time frame and the move and all) (except the testing info, mail was the only option)

Went to the post office today and THEY HAD MY KEYS!!!!!

Ran home to open and read the 3 months of parachutists I have missed AND?????

My keys don't work.

>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

UPS Store dude...you'll pay more for a box there, but at least they're organized...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Sounds like your landlords problem. California law says they must provide you with the lockable mailbox, not the post office.

My understanding is that while this is true, the keys to that mailbox are government property, and therefore must be obtained through the PO [:/]
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye