happythoughts

info on the web

People put way too much info about themselves on the web.

Stuff like putting your last name on your profile and where you live.

Telling people what you did and where, on your myspace page.

When I see something on the web that may be a bit much, I mention it to the person. "Oh, hi... I saw your vacation pics..." I've done that before and I could tell by the persons reaction that a lightbulb went on.

I don't know where people want to draw that line.
I just think that if you put your pic on the web, then you need to limit the amount of info that you put with it. (Unless you just want random people to show up.)

It's not just a few people who read it.

i agree with you.. id never have my last name on the web, or my address, phone number, or even my email address. i use pics on the web.. i also use a webcam in chat, and no i dont want "stalkers"! :S

ive been accused of giving away too much info in internet forums etc. but im not ashamed of who i am, or what ive been through. i ANM somewhat careful with whom and what i mention (some detail will never be posted!). Sharing for me is good therapy and i have met others who feel the same. and i have met some AMAZING and INSPIRING people by being open about things..

ive never had any of this come back to bite me, i cant really think of how it might.. i guess if anyone tried any funny stuff on me, id be the first to tell them to shove off. :D

mm.. so to discuss.. what is too much? how has it come back to bite? just curious.. ;)

FW

I try to be pretty careful but not paranoid. If someone really wanted to stalk me I suppose they could put the pieces together without too much effort. But I don't make it a slam-dunk.

Things I absolutely do not talk about with any specificity online:

--The company I work for (or my clients) and the people I work with (I don't name ANY names or include any details that could be at all identifying).

--Where I live (with any specificity, anyway, and I live in a large enough city that I can at least refer to it with relatively low risk).

--I am very careful in referring to friends and family online; I don't use last names, and if I think/know someone's at all sensitive, I won't even use their first name.

It's worked pretty well for me so far...
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I agree with you.. I don't really like anyone knowing exactly what I'm doing/ what I think/ how I think except for me.

I used one of those anonymous diary pages when I was younger but just got over it.. I guess the dz.com archives are the most anyone can use to "stalk" me and even then, they would have to find me on this site.

you mean like thinks that I live at 555 main st. I'm out of the house 3-4 random nights a week , I own 2 shot guns kind of two much of information ? lol

No but seriously that some good comments on how much is to much information but it can go futher than that. Most peopl don't realise the amout of personal information they leave when dealing in the real world. The thing you don't hear about very often is that many times the stalkers and home breakins are results of people close to us telling others about vacation plans ec. Work place is another big source.

The internet is in my mind just a small small source of information. Because most people out to do harm don't travel half way across the country for a person they have only knowen on line . Yes it has happened and the new places it front page but thats because its so uncommon that it makes better new then the same type of incodent that hapes with a coworker.

I'm not saying being safe online isn't requierd but being safe in real life is more important in my mind.

Most stalkers are knowen to the Victim !!

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/ProjectSafe/stalking.html
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

mm.. so to discuss.. what is too much? how has it come back to bite? just curious.. ;)
FW

Not me personally (yet). I'm mostly out of the stalking target range.

I haven't had a problem.
For some of the sky-chicas, I get PMs that are "Do you know this guy xxxx ? Some of his PMs are making me uncomfortable." I recommend that they take their last name off their profiles.

I do have this problem at work.

At my current workplace, there is a woman who is infinitely interested in anything that I say. If she found out that I jumped, she would be at the dz next weekend. I have to quietly leave if I go out for lunch.

I just think that people should be careful about MySpace info and such. "oldest child" works just as well as "my 15 yo Cindy".

...bump from 2006.

Here is my general rule for pics - I PM them to the
subject and give them the option of posting them.
(Even standard, bland content pics)

Also, for anyone, if your work friends know you jump
and Google your name + skydiving... they may find
interesting pics.

Another guideline -
I generally mention to women to keep their last
name off their profile of any site.

Also, keep your kids names/ages off.

There have been threads about, "Does anyone know
where this woman jumps?"

even facebook and stuff i only add people i properly know and still i have hardly anything on there, just a profile pic and basic non specific info, i'm not even sure i trust facebook to keep my information secure.

as for the rest of the net, i give it the old mushroom treatment... feed it shit and keep it in the dark.
Dude #320
"Superstitious" is just a polite way of saying "incredibly fucking stupid".
DONK!