FrogNog

Will reusable contact-mating surfaces make a comeback?

Synthetic gecko foot-stick created.

They don't mention anything about the following:
* degradation from repeated sticking and unsticking
* variation in unsticking force due to force application direction
* unexpected sticking to unintended objects
etc..

But it could make tuck tabs look like velcro. (In another decade. :P)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I don't think so.

We used velcro in the early days because it was there. Then we discovered many issues with it - and redesigned rigs with skydiving in mind. Now that that's been done - I can't see why we would need that application again. Rigs routinely make it to 1000 dives now without requiring any work at all - or at least my rigs do.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Your rig is'nt the only one. My container is coming up on its 1000th jump here soon and its just starting to come up to its second BOC replacement (Pilot chute was replaced only since it was F111 and I wanted ZP). Tuck tabs look great on it, same with everything else.

I don't fore see contact mating ever coming back.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I don't think so.

We used velcro in the early days because it was there. Then we discovered many issues with it - and redesigned rigs with skydiving in mind. Now that that's been done - I can't see why we would need that application again. Rigs routinely make it to 1000 dives now without requiring any work at all - or at least my rigs do.

t

my racer NOS has lots of velcro. only costs 20 bucks to replace each winter. no big deal.

rm

my racer NOS has lots of velcro. only costs 20 bucks to replace each winter. no big deal.

rm

Check out this opinion from the Jump Shack web site (May 15, 2000) available at http://www.jumpshack.com/default.asp?CategoryID=TECH

Velcro is obsolete, right?

Wrong.

High cycle/Low tenacity Velcro has an average life span of 700 jumps vs. 300 jumps for tuck tabs used in the same application. Not only does Velcro outlast the average tuck tab - it's easier and less expensive to replace. Most importantly, Velcro opens when it's supposed to, and will not hinder square reserve bag extraction as some tuck tab designs do. Riser cover tabs and stiffeners can snag lines, cause uneven riser deployment and spin deployment bags resulting frequently in line twists and malfunctions. Recent field reports indicate that Riser Cover Tuck Tabs are a major cause of eliptical canopys spinning up on opening requiring a cutaway.

Tuck tabs are acceptable in certain applications - but inappropriate in many others. Change for the sake of marketing purposes is unwise to say the least, when it affects the integrity and functionality of life saving equipment.

Re-examine the New Velcro - it works.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Well - they're saying 300 jumps, but I'm saying 1000 with no need for repacement - so there's a huge discrepancy there.

I'm happy without velcro.

t

What if the new non-velcro velcro meets or beats 1,000 jumps and is non-abrasive? Would you try it? Would you not really have a preference?

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I don't think so.

I have 3 rigs, and do between 400 - 500 dives a year these days. I anticipate a drop in my number of jumps per year over the next few years due to some changes I'm making, so right now I'm set for at least 6 years before 3000 dives on 3 rigs, probably more. I'll watch other people use it for that time - and if it shows no negatives after half a decade in the feild, then I'll consider it.

t

What if the new non-velcro velcro meets or beats 1,000 jumps and is non-abrasive? Would you try it? Would you not really have a preference?

Since the newfangled stuff by its nature sticks to virtually everything you might want to keep things like suspension lines away from it. And risers. And canopy fabric. I kinda like the KISS principle. Hard to beat tuck tabs for simple.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

that opinion is from 2000. they now have the 2k3 which is velcroless. some people still order the version with all the velcro. I would probably go with the 2k3 if it is as comfortable as my NOS. Everything as advantages and disadvantages. tuck tabs have disadvanatages. Bill Booth commented in the past that on the shoulder riser covers velcro is well suited because the size of the reserve has no effect. but better does not always win out - the market decides.

I was just trying to say replacing velcro is no big deal for me. I do it at 200 jumps which (sadly) is one year.

this new stuff mentioned by Mike F will have to prove itself....it will have an uphill battle.

Bill Booth commented in the past that on the shoulder riser covers velcro is well suited because the size of the reserve has no effect.

I think using the right sized main and reserve in a container is 1st prize here. Using velcro to adjust for abusing the gear in some other way is a poor way to manage things.

t

Bill Booth commented in the past that on the shoulder riser covers velcro is well suited because the size of the reserve has no effect.

I think using the right sized main and reserve in a container is 1st prize here. Using velcro to adjust for abusing the gear in some other way is a poor way to manage things.

t

yes, well here is that post from mr booth....

I left the Cypres control unit under the reserve flap to force people to open the flap, and therefore check their reserve pin at least once during a jump day. And since you should do at least one pin check a day, it's no trouble to set your Cypres while you're in there. It also allows another jumper to turn off your Cypres, without taking off your rig, in the event you have to ride down in the aircraft. Besides, the unit is more "protected" in the yoke.
Tuck riser covers are very sensitive to the bulk under them. (Velcro riser covers didn't have this problem, by the way.) When we design a rig with tuck tabs, we can only choose one riser cover dimension, and we base that on the average bulk we expect. When your risers are "thick" like yours, you should ask your rigger to leave very little bulk at the top
of your freebag. This will help your riser covers stay shut. If he can't pack with little bulk up top, perhaps your reserve is a bit too large. Even if you choose the "right size" reserve for your container, two supposedly "identical" reserves may have up to 10% different pack volumes, because of fabric and construction tolerances. Every bit of bulk, risers or canopy, up top affects your riser cover's ability to stay shut. So, if you want your riser covers to be as secure as possible, always choose a reserve that will fit "loosely" in your container, so that your riser covers can curve over your shoulders.

Well. Lucky for me I have 2 MT Mirages both with PD126R's and I've never had any flap open unintentionally on either of them. I have another Mirage, a little bigger (the size escapes me now) with a Tempo 120 in it. Same story.

t