windcatcher

What's Grad School Like?

Thinking about my future, I'm considering finishing my psychology degree ( only less than 2 semesters) and possibly going to grad school in the distant future.

What's grad school like? Is the GRE REALLY that* hard?

I'm sure like me most of you who have gone to college at the undergrad level can agree that you don't really learn a whole lot. I'm wondering how much harder work it takes to do good in grad school.
I was on the honor role in college for the first two years,but of course those were mostly gen ed's.

So what's it like? :)

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

lets see... The GRE is a standardized test... I don't like standardized tests... and don't test well in general... but if you take tests well then it shouldn't be too bad...

I think in general funding for grad school is very dependent on what degree/program/etc you're studying... I don't know how hard it is to get funding in most Psychology programs... it can't hurt to try... all that can happen is that they say "nope there isn't anything available at this time..." but if you don't ask it's definite negative.

I would say that in general graduate school is challenging... generally the method of learning/teaching at the graduate level is different then the undergraduate level. My impresson wrt graduate studies is that the goal is to teach the student how to teach themselves whatever it is they want to learn... not to force feed learning...

I hope this helps... I have an interesting background with respect to graduate studies and am a better person because of my experiences... (both good and bad)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I'd say it all depends on what school you go to and what you study. I got my MBA a few years ago, going to school 2 nights a week for 2 years. It was at a hotel down the street from my company. Dinner (included in tuition) was waiting for us when we arrived. Each course took 5 weeks I think, and our textbooks (also included in tuition) for the next course would be brought to us as each course ended. I've never been to the campus, which is probably 15 miles away from here or maybe less. And it was all paid for by my company. Well, except for tax.

I wouldn't say that it was all easy, but it was probably about as easy as grad school can ever be. Didn't even have to take the GMAT. I was supposed to take it, but they dropped the requirement before I did.

But I didn't go to a top school (obviously). You can choose what you want in grad school and how much work its going to be. But you have to know what you want to get out of it.

Dave

Thanks for your responses guys. :)

The few jobs that I'd be really happy doing require at least a bachelor's degree, if not a master's. I never really gave grad school a second thought until I realized that's pretty much what it would take to do my dream job.

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$444444444 yea and more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com