gritstonediva

merritt 150

Totally personal post coming up ;)

First, don't load it too high. These are half ZP half F111, and old. If yours has plenty of jumps on it, maybe look for another canopy...

I never jumped a Merit smaller than 190 and I don't want to! Mainly the hard openings that I don't like, and also the fact that straight after student canopies this was one hot canopy for me :S I did manage to learn how to land on my feet, eventually, even with an older Merit 190. The French main canopies have a real short control range, very different from other brands. I didn't like it, but that's personal. Took some time to get used to it. If yours isn't ragged out and you're not loading it much, you probably will too. However I wouldn't willingly jump a Merit 150 myself, ragged out or not, and that's with 725 jumps and a 1:1 WL. Can't remember if I flared any higher or lower than on other canopies, and don't want to jump one again to find out! :S

One other thing why I don't like 'em, don't have any proof of this really, but it seems to me Merit's are the first canopies we have here that start to show problems in turbulence. Maybe because they're trimmed so flat, they're also very flat top-to-bottom, usually are lightly-loaded and most of them have a lot of jumps on them. But I've seen a couple drop down when other canopies weren't having nearly as much problems...

BTW it's successor the Electra seems to be a much better canopy all around, as far as I've heard...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I made quite a few jumps with one as I was for awhile without a rig two years ago. Before Merit I jumped Hornet 135sqft.

I was loading it somewhere between 1.1 to 1.2 but didn't have any of the problems dragon listed. I actually liked it a lot. Sure, the openings were sometimes brisk, but never really hard. It is quite a lot "hotter" canopy at the same loading compared to any other canopy considered to be in the same class. Turns are much faster than even one size smaller Sabre2 or Hornet and the Merit was the first canopy I actually realized canopy can be turned with harness. Also the trim didn't seem to be very flat, much lighter guy did sink much faster with Merit150 when I was on my Hornet 135.

Just like Dragon said it has really short control range, so that might be causing problems, but I think I flared it very similar height that I had flared before, can't remember.

Cheers guys, like flow said I do seem to sink pretty sharpish (only weigh 68 Kgs) but it's only a worry when you get a bum spot. Openings haven't been a problem so far (touch wood) as I psycho it and that gives me a pretty comfy one, it just seems that unless there's a wee bit of wind I have loadsa ground speed even when flaring. just doesn't seem to want to plane out at all even with a vicious flare. Guess I'll get used to it but it's only until I can afford a 100% ZP anyway. but thanks for the tips. Meantime anyone seen a reasonably priced ZP?????

Doesn't plane out? I remember it planing out all right but not getting rid of the forward speed, putting my feet on the ground to soon and having to run for it. The ground speed was pretty fast indeed. It took me 10 jumps or so to be able to land it tippy-toe.
Try toget someone to video a couple of landings for you, and look at them with an instructor, maybe you're flaring too soon, too abrupt (vicious flare? why? maybe try a more gradual flare), or putting your feet down too soon or something.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

You've got it spot on, carrying too much ground speed seems to be the major thing. Kinda figured that it was due to the fact that the canopy seems to drop like a stone (quite funny when I'm running in after a jump coz always land first) but having to break into a sprint at ground level or simply land sliding on my ass (very graceful) is not the best. However trying to get someone with a camera to get me landing sounds like a plan

I jump a Merit 190 & load it at about 1.24 It has been bought second hand and the previous owner sold it due to back-problems. My rigger put a Kangaroo-slider on it and I haven't had a hard opening.
As for the landing part, I gradually (do I spell this correct?) flare it out and I haven't had to sprint out a landing? 2 or 3 were fast but I would classify those landings as bad judgment.
I love this canopy....:P

Greetz Q
You don't need a parachute to jump but YOU DO if want to do it again.