Icon134

unusual computer behavior...

Ok, I'm not sure I can successfully discribe my problem but I'm going to try... and hopefully someone can help me figure out how to fix it...

My home desktop has 2 video cards running 4 displays... up until a recent update I have never had any problems with them functioning properly but after my most recent update everytime I reboot the primary display (display 1) starts up with the incorrect (non-native) display resolution and the task bar shows up at the bottom of display 2. Now it is a relatively simple (but somewhat annoying) problem to fix everytime I restart (or logout/login) Windows.

I'm assuming there's some configuration file that isn't getting saved to but honestly I don't know how to fix it... and I was hoping someone might be able to help me figure it out.

Strangely it seems to change at some point during the startup splash screen (when the "Welcome" is on the screen) in the middle of that boot screen the display resolution adjusts but before that it appears to be just fine.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

What video cards?

And which version of windows...
Also what did you update? VC drivers or windows...

They are Nvidia 9600 GT Chipsets (XFX) and I'm running *shudder* Vista SP2.

If I remember correctly it occured when I updated my Nvidia Drivers but when I tried to roll back my drivers it didn't fix the problem.

I'm sure there's a config file somewhere that it is stepping through during bootup I just don't know how to fix it... :|

I haven't run anything but ATI in a while but I'm assuming you're using NVIDIA's software for changing the configuration?

I'm doing background research now... (good thing the government pays me to just surf the internet :P )

*I don't expect to be able to solve this problem since I don't know much about NVIDIA, but hopefully more information will help the next guy coming along.

ATI uses a software called Catalyst to configure their cards... you can help me out by telling me the name of the software you're using. Also I'm assuming you're running them SLI?

Thanks... I appreciate any help I can get... :$

and I've used both the windows controls to change the configurations and Nvidia's controls... but regardless of which one I use it reverts to the wrong resolution when I reboot.

I added another couple questions to the last post also...

I'm assuming this is the update you used:
GeForce/ION Driver Release 186
Release Date: 18 June
Version: 196.18

And this config software:
NVIDIA System Tools with ESA Support
Release date: 10 June
Version: 6.05

*You might also want to cross post to this forum...
http://forums.nvidia.com/

*Also after I RTFM it seems like System Tools is not the display configuration software....

The cards are capable of running in a SLI configuration... but that's really only used when one display is being run to display in 3D (such as gaming)

I am running the latest drivers (released on the 18th) I don't know what version of the config software I'm using is... (unfortunately I'm not at home)

and fwiw I'm actually using an ATI card (and the Catalyst software) in another computer in the house... so I'm able to speak your language...

Good idea on the cross posting I might just do that... :$:)