Misternatural

local non jumper plane crash

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=11380936

Last night a police search heli was circling the area around my house, we were speculating whether a suspect was prowling the area but it turned out they were searching for a downed small plane as per the local news. The search ended at midnight but went on for hours prior with no sign so I went for a hike at 1 AM as I hike all over that mountain at least 5 times a month hunting and whatnot. No wreckage found. Saw a cop on the road who drove up to me and I asked if it was OK to join the search this morning....he was really cool about it and said that would be fine.

Around 7 AM I went back up there and searched some wicked steep areas when the search chopper saw me and hovered in...Damn that thing was loud and was blowing the leaves off of the trees around me!
Later I saw the wreck, it was surrounded by police and they told me to stay out of the perimeter My neighbor,a local pilot on the team, was there- He ID'd me so I approached and i could see that the plane was upside down broken up and crushed. no word on the occupants... they left them there over night so I don't think the outcome was good. No pics of the wreck, I didn't think the cops would like that.:|

here's an update.
http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/crash-1267801-update-plane.html

I guess it's going to be busy up there for a few days, does anyone know if the NTSB or FAA usually remove the wreckage from the site of a small plane crash? because of the dense tree growth and steepness- thats going to be a real bitch. Will the area be restricted for a while during the investigation?
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

s, does anyone know if the NTSB or FAA usually remove the wreckage from the site of a small plane crash?

From what friends in the salvage business have told me, no, they don't typically. I'm not sure how it works exactly, but I think you can get a permit to salvage wrecks. I've heard you have to remove everything, not just grab the stuff with resale value.

does anyone know if the NTSB or FAA usually remove the wreckage from the site of a small plane crash?

It depends, I think. If they can determine the cause of the crash on-site, they might leave it there. If not, they might remove components for lab examination.

If the wreckage is left on-site, they should paint a large red "X" on top so that it won't be confused as a new crash site in the future.

Thanks guys, Maybe some of the avionics are intact and maybe some engine components, though I figure they get red tagged after a crash...amazing how fragile those small planes are - it's a mess though I hope someone gets it out of there, otherwise there will be a stream of tourist up there for a while.

When I was 11 or so this friends dad thought it would be cool to bring us to the scene of a similar crash shortly afterwards- well I found this switch laying on the ground and pocketed it without anyone knowing. What a mess that turned out to be when I finally gave up my find, I was asked about 10 times If I had flipped the switch. Don't know what the switch was for to this day- That was not a fun weekend as i recall.
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415