skydiver604

GM Cars are pretty tough

Yeah, I was thinking about that video when this thread started. We always called the older cars "tanks" thinking that they were big and tough, but the newer "soup cans" are actually safer for the passengers.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Yeah, I was thinking about that video when this thread started. We always called the older cars "tanks" thinking that they were big and tough, but the newer "soup cans" are actually safer for the passengers.

The older tanks will win every time in low speed crashes against the soup cans. But I agree with you in that the newer cars are safer for passengers because of the crumple zones, airbags and shoulder-harnessed seat belts that the older cars don't have.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The older tanks will win every time in low speed crashes against the soup cans.

No.

Okay then, If a tank is parked on the curb, or stopped at a red light, and a soup can crashes into it, Soup can loses. I know. Because I've seen it happen twice.

My brother had a Chevy Impala early 70's model. Big motherfucker steel car. Parked on the curb outside our home. We have a snow storm. Afterwards, some soup can (this was early 80's) loses control and smacks into the rear bumper of the Impala. Barely a dent on the Impala's fender, but the soup can's front end was crumpled up good, including broken headlight.

The other time, my dad was driving his 70's Dodge Ram Van, this is the extended version with the single door on the back end and two bench seats behind the front bucket seats. He was stopped at a red light, and some VW Rabbit rammed into the back of the van. Dad said it felt like one hell of a jolt. The van had a couple of small dents in the fender, but the Rabbit's front end was crushed.

So, you were saying???
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Finally got the Malibu replaced. Bought a 2004 Impala, 87 000 kms / 54000 miles,,3.8 L V6.
Car is roomy and comfortable to drive.

Certified, etested and licensed for under $7500.00 Can. :)

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo

Finally got the Malibu replaced. Bought a 2004 Impala, 87 000 kms / 54000 miles,,3.8 L V6.
Car is roomy and comfortable to drive.

Certified, etested and licensed for under $7500.00 Can. :)

Nice car.

Funny how it looks similar to a late model Honda Accordion.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

The older tanks will win every time in low speed crashes against the soup cans.

No.

Okay then, If a tank is parked on the curb, or stopped at a red light, and a soup can crashes into it, Soup can loses. I know. Because I've seen it happen twice.

My brother had a Chevy Impala early 70's model. Big motherfucker steel car. Parked on the curb outside our home. We have a snow storm. Afterwards, some soup can (this was early 80's) loses control and smacks into the rear bumper of the Impala. Barely a dent on the Impala's fender, but the soup can's front end was crumpled up good, including broken headlight.

The other time, my dad was driving his 70's Dodge Ram Van, this is the extended version with the single door on the back end and two bench seats behind the front bucket seats. He was stopped at a red light, and some VW Rabbit rammed into the back of the van. Dad said it felt like one hell of a jolt. The van had a couple of small dents in the fender, but the Rabbit's front end was crushed.

So, you were saying???

disposable cars=disposable drivers
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Thanks,,still need to get it detailed and cleaned up,,,after the accident we decided to stay with the bigger cars. I'm still trying to convince my dad to sell me his 62 Studebaker Golden Hawk,,,,,not much luck on that front,,,:(

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo