dtby74

cutaway cable lubrication

I wonder if anyone knows the answer to these...what percentage of jumpers lubricate their yellow cable at correct intervals with the food grade silicone. What are the consequences of not lubricating the yellow cable with a highly loaded eliptical canopy spinning like crazy on opening. I'll bet these factors are why JumpShack use the red cable even though is is not as tough???

rm

rm

You can buy it at ACE hardware, it's called ACE Pure Silicone Lubricant.

This is the exact stuff Bill Booth recommends and that we use in our Loft.

Thanks for the exact reference! There are so many different silicon based products that are very very different, nice to have a particular product in mind.

I wonder if anyone knows the answer to these...what percentage of jumpers lubricate their yellow cable at correct intervals with the food grade silicone. What are the consequences of not lubricating the yellow cable with a highly loaded eliptical canopy spinning like crazy on opening. I'll bet these factors are why JumpShack use the red cable even though is is not as tough???

Jump Shack uses Teflon because John Sherman thinks it's better for the rigs he builds. Bill Booth uses the yellow L stuff (sorry, I can't recall the name). This is what's called the free market economy. You don't have some authority (i.e. the government) telling you what to buy or making your choices for you. Not yet anyway...

I've never heard of any serious safety problems with a well maintained Racer or Vector. You buy what you want to buy. If you like John Sherman's explanation better, then buy his rig. It's the American way.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

It's the American way.

??

I would guess less than 10% of jumpers clean/lubricate the yellow cutaway cable like they are supposed to. I asked 3 of my 4way team mates - they kinda laughed - they assume the rigger does it at reserve repack time - here in canada that means every 180 days (more like once a year). 2 of them jump crossbraced canopies at over 2:1

my point: if you have a yellow cable you'd better clean and lubricate it like the manual says.

rm

I've never heard of any serious safety problems with a well maintained Racer or Vector.

How about he pictures in Skydiving Magazine a few years ago, showing a cracked red cable (in several places).

I think you are talking about quite a few years ago when it was first being introduced in 1998...JumpShack put this out:

http://www.jumpshack.com/default.asp?CategoryID=TECH&PageID=REDCABLEINSP&SortBy=DATE_D