bradandskydoc

pull out vs boc pro's and cons

Lest ye forget the premature deployment? It's often overlooked.

Is a premature deployment considered a malfunction? There's video out there and plenty of it. Hopefully someone will post a link.

The pilot chute did it's job, just not by choice. Equipment has been damaged pretty badly from premature deployments. People have been damaged pretty badly too.

Pull-outs get a bad rap becuase of poorly designed systems and an occasional floating handle. Throw outs have a good rap due to the "market"

When I used a throw out, I encountered some hard pulls, near premature deployments and a few pilot chutes in tow that cleared. (the gear was well maintained so that's ruled out)

After switching to pull out for the past couple thousand jumps, I no longer fear premature deployments. There's much less snag hazzard. If for some reason, as unlikely as it may be, my main container opens before I want it too, the pilot chute has a much better chance of finding it's way to clean air, than if it's stuffed in a pouch.

Most of my throwout career, I used a plastic handle, mostly due to cost but it's less likely to cause the pilot chute to escape the pouch than a hackey.

Hackey's have been wrapped in the bridle as well. One BASE fatality is a direct result of using a hackey handle.

Hackey handles are in my opinion not suitable for freeflying. A well designed low profile handle with a tuck tab is suitable. People get by with them but the risk is certainly higher of a premature deployment.

This is an interesting "statistic".

>>"both systems work. BOC's just work better (about 5 times better) for most people.'<<

That suggests there's a 1 in 5 chance of a problem? :D. I appreciate the thought but it's not accurate. Good one Bill:)
My opinion is a throw out is fine with a secure handle. A pull out is a simple system and some designs are better than others. People have had issues with both systems.

EDIT: Before I posted this, I did a search on premature deployment and read a few of the threads. There's some good pictures of Premature deployments and some good stories in there. I've watched premature deployments and have seen the direct result including body and equipment damage. What ever you choose, be sure the handle is very secure and not able to flop around.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

another reason i switched to pullout was last year i failed to protect my boc handle in a king air and while the door came over my back it caught my then pvc cylinder handle and the pc was on the floor behind me while my 2 way partner was out and i was about to join him when i heard pc out and dove to cover it with everyone's attention. thank god almighty in rantoul that day. now i appreciate lower profile main pullout systems from experience for everyone's safety.
MB 3864 Urantia Book and RUSH fan

Bill, comon,(due respect) the pull out system prevents a more serious malfunction than a total, "pilot chute in tow" Further, if by total Mal.F.tion you mean onnacounta not being able to see your pud, most can't see the boc's either, bsides the boc kinda looks like the user's carryin a load

Well I sure opened a can of worms with this debate:ph34r: Thanks to everyone for your coments and insites. Now I must choose. The nearly new rig that I am buying has a pull out deployment system so in order to test jump the rig I will have to use the pull out. I, of course, want to see how the rig feels in the air, in the saddle, and how I like the main canopy before I lay down $4,500. I think, though, that for me, at age 53 with only 130 jumps, that I will have the manufacturer install the throw out. It is the system I am used to and most comfortable with. It is a tough decision because I now understand both systems much better and realize the pros and cons of each. I believe that the pilot chute in tow is the worst mal to have to deal with and hope I never have to experience it. So I will be diligent in maintenance and carefull packing and trust that clever little curved pin to do it's job.

Here goes - I'm off to the drop zone for my test jump. I think I'll deploy at 7G so I have plenty of time in case I have trouble and also I want to play with the main at altitude to learn its flight characteristics.

Thanks again to all

You mean like the fact you're buying into rumors?

Let me give you some advice on pull-outs. Birdman is against anyone using a pull out system while flying a BirdMan suit. I’m sure you’ve heard this a few times since you seem to like flying BirdMan at Perris.

Why are you so eager to prove everyone wrong? Even Bill Booth says pull-outs suck but you won’t listen. One of these days your luck is going to run out. I hope I’m there to witness it firsthand.

Let me give you some advice on pull-outs. Birdman is against anyone using a pull out system while flying a BirdMan suit.

Do you even know why? I didn't think so. With some thought and the proper selection of bridle there is no problem.

I’m sure you’ve heard this a few times since you seem to like flying BirdMan at Perris.

Yeah, I've heard it. Not only am I a BirdMan Instructor, but RIGGING65 and I created one of the first wingsuit schools in the country, pre-dating the BMI rating system. I've also got about 400 wingsuit jumps on pullouts.

Why are you so eager to prove everyone wrong?

I've never said anything about anyone being wrong. Why do you find it important to run your trap about something you have not thought about. Stop being a parrot.

Even Bill Booth says pull-outs suck but you won’t listen.

I'm pretty sure he has never said that, he still builds them, and you might want to think about how your reserve system works.

One of these days your luck is going to run out. I hope I’m there to witness it firsthand.

Kiss my ass. Don't let me find out who you are.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.