rhys

Earthquake in Christchurch

Hi All,

There has been a 7.1 eathquake in my hometwon of Christchurch, New Zealand.

There is significant damage to many buildings and bridges, the CBD has been closed.

I am 500km away and we felt it quite severely also.

Collapsed 'sections of buildings' and the water supply has been extensively damaged.

Fortunately we have eathquake protection laws and old brick buildngs hve been stregthened.

In kiapoi some housed have been destroyed!!

Not hearing any reports of deaths yet, but there is reports of some serious injury.

Will keep you all posted.

My family is all O.k, thoughts are out there to those that are injured, or those that have signifiant damage to their property.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Thank you for your warm thoughts.

there is more information here;

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10671050

There has been a cold snap moving across the country so the temperature s around 0 degrees so those wthout power and with damaged property may have trouble keeping warm.

A positive is the extensive strengthening that has been carried out in the city to the old brick buildings had seemed to work very well, without which this would have been a much worse disaster!!!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

There has been a 7.1 eathquake

The first quake was actually 7.4 and the first aftershock was 7.1, more aftershocks expected.

I don't know how to make a site 'clicky' but the official site of the USGS is a good place to go for information about earthquakes. They have listed this as a 7.0 after review from seismologists. It says that the quake was on the New Zealand South Island.
There is also a place that you can go on this site to add your experience with the quake. They gather information for future review. So far only 260 people have commented on it.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

There is also a place that you can go on this site to add your experience with the quake. They gather information for future review. So far only 260 people have commented on it.

I'm sure more reports will come in, many people are without power phone and of course internet.

the prime minister is flying down now with some key ministers to determine the response.

fortunately we have good infrastructure and building codes, many palces would have been flattened by this.

I lived 14 miles from the epicenter of the 7.1 Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989. You will experience aftershocks for weeks. Many of them will be quite large. Power will be out for days as well. Glad to hear you and your family are safe.
Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406

I lived 14 miles from the epicenter of the 7.1 Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989. You will experience aftershocks for weeks. Many of them will be quite large. Power will be out for days as well. Glad to hear you and your family are safe.

they are worried about the alpine fault which is where I am located, this earthquake will be minor compared the what will happen if the alpine fault lets go, it is well overdue and this may have lossened it up... or not...

Hope everyone is OK!

Surprisingly almost everybody is, only a couple of serious injuries and one critical but no deaths. There is some quite severe damage, my sister in law was standing in a crack in the ground 2m deep and 2m wide.

my mother was in the doorway for 20 minute while it was going on this morning and has counted over 50 aftershocks.

The city looks like a war has rolled through. Many old brick buildings collapsed sections street front. balconies collapsed on to the footpath...

Being in the early hours of the morning is what saved many lives.

We have had a severe plane crash at a DZ just over the hill from me, 9 of our skydivnig buddies have now perished too.

:(

This is one of our nations worst earthquakes causing moderate damage to our 2nd largest city and also one of our worst ever aircraft accidents in one day.

A very sad day for New Zealand.

100,000 damged homes, only 60,00 were not damaged!

Liquifaction is a big problem is some areas, with gas resovoirs floting out of the ground... there have been well over 100 aftershocks some over 5.0 and now there has been an earthquake in the norths island.

I sure hope Mt. Ruapehu doesn't go off!!! We have had enough carnage for now.

In a third world country with lesser building standards or if this had of happened during the day , the casyualty rate would have been extremely worse.