blacklabjumper

Natural Gas Service

I live in Virginia and the state just deregulated (to a certain degree) natural gas service. I get a letter today from IGS Energy asking if i want to buy my gas from them.
They are telling me that the going rate of my current provider is 68.2 cents per CCF. They are offering a fixed rate for 6 months at 63 cents per CCF.
Does anyone have any experience with this type of offer or payment structure? How do I know I am not getting ripped off or screwing myself in the long run? I understand the rate may adjust every 3 months with my current provider. I guess I have to decide if I think the price of gas is going to go below 63 cents in the next 6 months.
Opinions, thoughts, advice and any plain old rude comments are welcomed.
Rodriguez Brother #1626
Dudiest Skydiver #1962
DPH #-2

The price of natural gas in North America is not expected to rise significantly in the near future. "Shale cracking" technology has opened up massive amounts of gas in the continental US very close to markets.
Many people in Alberta found themselves locked into long-term contracts during declining prices after deregulation, but 6 month terms are hardly long term. However, seeing as you are talking about a less than 5% savings you need to do your homework about whether your current, prospective, or other local providers charge significant connection fees that will swamp any savings you might gain if you find you need to switch again.
Perhaps you should start by calling your current provider and asking them for a better deal; it often works for phone providers.