ChrisL

De Quervain Syndrome

Anyone ever have surgery to treat this condition?

I have it in my left wrist and have already tried steroid injections,
immobilization etc to no avail.

My Doctor was quite insistent on trying all the less invasive approaches first, but now he is recommending the surgery.

The procedure involves opening the dorsal carpal ligament over the first dorsal compartment to release the tendons.

I'm a guitar player (lead) and have some concerned re: possible nerve damage etc.

Unfortunately the pain is significant enough that its completely preventing me from playing about the 12th fret, so I guess surgery is my only option.

anyone here ever have this surgery? If so, what were your results?
__

My mighty steed

My sister had this surgery done about 10 years ago, and it was a complete success. Spent 3-4 weeks in a brace, relatively brief PT period, then back to normal, with no other problems resulting from the surgery.
Her issues was basically repetitive motion (typing), so it's probably a similar root cause to yours. Good luck; I feel for ya, I've got arthritis in both thumbs, and it's getting harder to play for long periods, and the surgery for this type of arthritis would knock me out of commission for about 4 months. I don't think I'd stay sane that long without my "bitches", as my wife calls them... :P

Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

My sister had this surgery done about 10 years ago, and it was a complete success. Spent 3-4 weeks in a brace, relatively brief PT period, then back to normal, with no other problems resulting from the surgery.
Her issues was basically repetitive motion (typing), so it's probably a similar root cause to yours. Good luck; I feel for ya, I've got arthritis in both thumbs, and it's getting harder to play for long periods, and the surgery for this type of arthritis would knock me out of commission for about 4 months. I don't think I'd stay sane that long without my "bitches", as my wife calls them... :P

Damn, 4 months. That would pretty much end my band
(or at least my involvement in it). My Doctor tells me that I should be able to start playing again within a week or two, and even that will be hard since I play almost every day for at least an hour.

Thanks for the info, sorry to hear about your arthritis...

My own issues resulted from (most likely) a combination of guitar playing and weight lifting both for the last 35 years...
__

My mighty steed