Tuna-Salad

This is amazing...

well. thats one hella fast ride to altitude!! :)
"i knew this would happen i need to scratch my face" -- LOL :D

but really, thats awesome.

Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

When i was in the air force, I had the incredible privilege of working on acquiring new sensor and data systems for the U-2. This involved test and aircraft ops, too. The absolute highlight of my entire career (on one of the moments of my life) was riding in on of the chase cars during U2 operations at Beale AFB, where they are stationed.

That view from the car at the end, I have seen it...it's so amazing how skilled the pilots are having to land a plane with only 2 landing gear...they basically have to balance the plane like a bicycle all the way to nearly a dead stop, then slowly allow one wing tip to lower to the ground.

The U2 flying today is not the same airframe as the original 1950s version, BTW. the production line for that one was shut down in the 70s, and a brand new line was opened in 1986 for the current version. The U2s that were shot down over the USSR and Cuba were much smaller and less powerful than today's aircraft.

The U2 is still the most versatile strategic reconnaissance platform the USAF flies. The unmanned Global Hawk has long been trying to replace it, but there are limitations the UAV has that the U2 does not (namely, the ability to carry several types of sensor packages at one time), and the retirement date for the U2 keeps getting delayed.

When I was a little girl, the SR-71 inspired me to want to join the Air Force. As an adult, NOTHING the AF flies, not the hottest fighter or the heaviest tanker, inspires me now so much as the U2, and i'm not too proud to admit that I had tears running down my face watching this video.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

thats awesome! :)
so whose idea was it to only put 2 whells on that thing!? i mean what, a wing only costs a few bucks right? who cares if they tear one up. . . LOL :D

Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

well, take a look at the plane and you'll see it can only have 2 wheels, DUCY?

for taxi and takeoff the wingtips have removable wheel struts that just fall away when the plane leaves the ground. Obv. those aren't there for landing, hence the skill needed to fly the thing. being a U2 pilot is probably the most exclusive job in the AF...you gotta be GOOD.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

oh i see WHY that model has 2 wheels, im jsut wondering if its totally impossible to make one with 4, thats all.