propblast

Lakehurst?

I made my very first jump at Lakehurst 1975, static line under a round of coarse. The day we went, the Cessna was down for maintainence, so the Gunnery Sarge/cheif instructor called somebody over at a nearby Army field, they sent over a Huey medivac chopper for us to jump from! The next time I jumped it was 2006 in Southern California. I know lots of years wasted without skydiving :)

Was there about six years ago just to see where the Hindenburg went in. Not much there as a remembrance of that event, I guess, due to the swastikas on the tail. The blimp hangars were still there and are still more impressive that anything Jerry Jones has come up with.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

There used to be a skydiving DZ outside of Lakehurst Naval Air Station. Anyone know anything about it or if it still exists? Im not sure if I read about it or what?

Propblast

Erik - Are you maybe referring to the Parachutes, Inc., dropzone at Lakewood, NJ? I made numbers 41 and 42 there in '74. Had an AAD misfire at about 50 feet on # 42. Never got a chance to use my last two jump tickets. Think I can get a refund? The tickets say they're valid indefinitely! :)

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Hi blast,
Yup. Lakewood. 'Went to PR-"A" School spring of '67 at Lakehurst. Jumped at Lakewood a couple of times. Lakewood is history now. I think they built houses where the DZ was. Probably built houses over some craters!! People wake up in the middle of the night hearing screams and a hundred mile and hour wind!!!!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Man, does this bring back memories. My first jump was at Lakehurst in 1960. I made 60 jumps into that sand pit that was surrounded by trees. My 31st jump was out of one of those blimps, June 28, 1961. In those days we tried various modifications to the old type parachutes. Some worked well while some -- not so well.