sundevil777

Latest McAfee/Windows 7 update = no internet access

After the latest batch of updates installed on Monday/Tuesday, I can't use my hardwired internet connection on my desktop computer. If I restore back to the previous system point, then it works fine. Diagnosing the connection turns up nothing.

Anyone have some insight on this? I hope I'm not the only one affected, maybe if I just keep the old configuration for a while the updates will be patched up. I'm just going to stay away from the updates for now of course.

Thanks in advance for any info you might have.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Now I see that it is due to a McAfee update (it happened again when I allowed McAfee to update), but I don't know how to set back the update like I can on Windows. I've tried disabling the firewall, that is not the problem. Arghh, McAfee updates have never caused problems.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I'm not a big fan of Windows since 1995, but I will never install McAfee on my PC. make sure you disable McAfe firewall, I would suggest wiping it off your PC and get a NOD, Avast or AVG.

Also Microsoft does have some free stuff for broke ass users such a skydivers :)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

try this link it may help.

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/28074

P.S. Did you get that "Masterpiece" for free from Comcast? :)

If you just using your PC for www or some simple stuff try Ubuntu as your second OS - you don't have to kill Win in order to have it. http://www.ubuntu.com/

I see now that it is a recent-known problem with a McAfee update. Had to uninstall and reinstall it.

After the latest batch of updates installed on Monday/Tuesday, I can't use my hardwired internet connection on my desktop computer. If I restore back to the previous system point, then it works fine. Diagnosing the connection turns up nothing.

Anyone have some insight on this? I hope I'm not the only one affected, maybe if I just keep the old configuration for a while the updates will be patched up. I'm just going to stay away from the updates for now of course.

Thanks in advance for any info you might have.

It happened to me too.

Un-install so you can get to the internet, reinstall, choose the custom installation, and skip the firewall.

Just disabling the firewall, rebooting, and resetting your connection is not enough.

Their web site also gives other ways around the problem, although those require manual intervention every time windows restarts itself for an update. They may or may not work - I used up my patience trying other things before I un-installed and got to the web site and figured that leaving the defective component un-installed would be most likely to end my troubles.

[URL]http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS101346[/URL]

Now I see that it is due to a McAfee update (it happened again when I allowed McAfee to update), but I don't know how to set back the update like I can on Windows. I've tried disabling the firewall, that is not the problem. Arghh, McAfee updates have never caused problems.

It's the problem, but disabling it is not enough.

It's the problem, but disabling it is not enough.

Yes, I had to uninstall and reinstall McAfee, and it works now.