FlyingRhenquest

Flying Commercially With Gear?

I haven't had much occasion to fly commercially recently. I like cross country drives when I can get 'em, and haven't gone anywhere for the company in over a decade.

Now that I'm skydiving, I'm plotting all sorts of trips around the country and internationally, to all the cool dropzones I can find.

How do you guys handle your gear on commercial air liners? I'd be a bit hesitant to check a rig. Can you just treat it like a regular carry-on item, or does security cause a fuss about that?
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I haven't had much occasion to fly commercially recently. I like cross country drives when I can get 'em, and haven't gone anywhere for the company in over a decade.

Now that I'm skydiving, I'm plotting all sorts of trips around the country and internationally, to all the cool dropzones I can find.

How do you guys handle your gear on commercial air liners? I'd be a bit hesitant to check a rig. Can you just treat it like a regular carry-on item, or does security cause a fuss about that?

Victorinox convertible backpack/roll-aboard sized to the legal carry-on maximum. It's just big enough for a rig, jumpsuit, helmet, and accessories. It rolls on wheels which makes travelling very low-effort.

I also have a couple other carry-ons sized just under the limit that don't loose any interior space to pack frame bits that work for even more stuff (like two packed BASE rigs each with a 240 square foot canopy fit in one) but they're harder to lug through the airport.