freeflywldchld

A Technical question

i am downsizing and although I have been a dedicated jumper of sabre canopies ... i am looking at safires .. is there a big difference in characteristics between a sabre 150 and a safire 149.... is the pack size different I.E. is it crossbraced .... my new container will only hold up to a 150.... i would just jump one but nobody at my DZ has one ... thanks ...blueskies...jamie

Contact Icarus and have them send you a demo! I'd start with a 149; a few jumps on that will tell you if you want to go smaller. A Safire 149 felt faster in the air and on landing than the Sabre and Spectre 150's I've jumped, but that's just me... It packs up about the same as a Sabre - I had no problem putting a 149 in my rig that was sized for a Sabre or Spectre 150.
Read the reviews posted here and in the review section, there are some good tips on landing it. The flare is a bit different than what you are used to but once you get it the surfs are great.
pull and flare,
lisa
Edited by skybytch on 3/4/01 10:14 AM.

I pack my safire the same as sabers but i dont roll the nose. They open pretty slow anyhow. The safire will seem a little faster because its lightly elliptical. I don't know if you'll see a radical difference between a 150 saber and a 149 safire. Get a demo before you buy. I love my 135!

I normally jump a 170 sabre. Yesterday I jumped a 169 Safire. I don't know about pack volume, because it was a whole different rig.
Flying it was cool though. The opening was abit quicker than my sabre. Surprised me, but not hard. I have worked hard to get that sabre to quit slamming me. Flight seemed smoother. It seemed to turn a bit quicker, with toggle and riser. But not radically so. I had a good spot and aimed for the pad in the middle of the peas. Missed it by 6inchs. Not bad for the first time under a new canopy. All in all I would say it is similar to the sabre, but a little quicker and without the fear of the bad openings.
I am going to buy a 149. I am loaded at 1.1 now, the 149 will put me at about 1.3.