rnicks

Anybody live in Wichita??

For whatever superior being I managed to piss off, it looks like I will be moving to Wichia in a few months. :( (my husband was reassigned)

I've been studying maps for weeks but am having difficulty looking for housing since I've never been there. I'm a nurse and would ultimately like to be close to work. It looks like the only hospital is Via Christi which is middle Wichita. My husband needs to be close to McConnell AFB which looks to be southeast. Google says theses are 25 min from each other. Given traffic, does this really mean 45 min? Is somewhere in the middle OK? It looks to be in the city, but I have no idea of the area.

If anybody has any ideas on where I can focus my housing search given the above two locations, that would be great. I also would like to know areas to stay away from. I've heard Andover and Derby are good locations, but they look to be a bit far from the hospital. We don't have any kids yet, so school systems are not a factor.

I know this is a long shot given that most people have probably never even heard of Wichita :D, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. :)

I sympathize. They were always sending Dad around to crazy places too. If you've never been out west before, it's going to take some getting used to, but try to stay upbeat about it. That's just how the service is. Maybe next time he can shoot for a post in the South Pacific.

Is there a chance you can work at the base hospital? They look like they're big enough that they should have one. It might be worth checking to see if they use civilian contractors at all; maybe you can find a contracting company that can set you up. My guess would be "Spirit Defense."

On Google maps you can zoom in all the way and look at the street level, too. That's a very useful tool for seeing what the neighborhood looks like. Turn on the satellite overlay, too. You can get a really good idea of the area by looking at the satellite imagery.

Looking at the map, the hospital you found and two other medical centers are all within a few blocks from each other, and all very close to the airbase. If you settle in just north of the airbase, the base and all three hospitals should all be within about 10-15 minutes driving distance. I... wouldn't worry about traffic in Wichita...

Google also says there's a dropzone there. Looks like they might be on the other side of the city from the base, though. That still shouldn't be that much of a drive, though.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Thanks for the tips. I forgot all about that google street view. I'm actually not all that upset about moving. I married knowing this was gonna happen. I'm upset to be moving to the middle of nowhere......errr I mean Kansas!

Oh, and btw, Kansas most certainly is not west. I grew up in Seattle. That's west!

Thanks for the tips. I forgot all about that google street view. I'm actually not all that upset about moving. I married knowing this was gonna happen.

I could've sworn the plan was for him to leave and you stay and keep the house maintained.:P

Just remember, when you find your new rigger up there, give them a Nelson laugh for me when you drop your rig off. :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

"You Cain't Get No train ...Outta Wichita.... lessen you're a HOG...
People train run outta STU--- Stu---- STUBVILLE" ....
Quote from "buckle boot wearing " Owen... Planes Trains & Automobiles

I wondered if anybody would quote my favorite movie of all time! The only reason I have heard of Wichita is because of when Neal page's wife exclaims, "Wichita Kansas???", completely and utterly horrified!! :D:D

That is the best movie ever!

Thanks for the tips. I forgot all about that google street view. I'm actually not all that upset about moving. I married knowing this was gonna happen.

I could've sworn the plan was for him to leave and you stay and keep the house maintained.:P

Just remember, when you find your new rigger up there, give them a Nelson laugh for me when you drop your rig off. :D

I tried. Infact, I begged, pleaded, threatened, bribed, and at one point flat out refused to go! But he's not having any of it. I'm sure I'll be kicking and screaming, but I'm going.

Oh but don't you worry, I'm sure my travels won't slow down. I'll be back plenty. You can still be my rigger. ;)

Bah! It's not "West" unless someone drove a herd of cattle through there in a cheesy western!

Kansas isn't so bad though, at least they didn't send you to Maine! Dad was stationed there back in the 70's when I was just learning to walk. All I remember of it was snow and ice. Mom says that's really all there was to remember of it. They kept sending the men off to other parts of the world for training, leaving the wives alone at home with their kids for months at a time. And back then you couldn't even get Prozac sprinkles for your Haagen Daaz!

You might even find a sushi restaurant or two in town. I doubt anything there will compare with Seattle, but it's better than nothing! There should be some really fantastic beef available in the area too. If that January-February stretch ever gets to be too much you could book a flight to Curacao for a week or something.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Kansas isn't so bad though, at least they didn't send you to Maine! Dad was stationed there back in the 70's when I was just learning to walk. All I remember of it was snow and ice. Mom says that's really all there was to remember of it.

She just moved down here from Michigan. :P

They kept sending the men off to other parts of the world for training, leaving the wives alone at home with their kids for months at a time. And back then you couldn't even get Prozac sprinkles for your Haagen Daaz!

Ya hear that Robyn? Time to get a bun in the oven! :D:D:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

You might try contacting the folks at Air Capital Dropzone at Wichita. They should be able to give you some good info. I have done some work in that area a few years ago. I remember we got a good steak at the Scotch and Sirloin. Kansas University School of Medicine has a facility at Wichita.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Sitting in Wichita right now for the holidays. Born/raised here... and got the hell out of here as soon as I could!!!

Via Christi is a great hospital. Probably the best in town. Look at Wesley too. Neither of them are going to be convienient to McConnell.

PM me and I can give you all the information you'd ever care to have on Wichita.

Thanks Jennifer. I may take you up on that offer as I think of more things. I also recieved another really helpful PM from somebody who lives in Wichita. That's double the population I thought actually lived there!!

Ya hear that Robyn? Time to get a bun in the oven!

Sure. As long as I still get my daily requirement of 13 hours of sleep, continue to do a minimum of 200 jumps a year, and don't have to touch it if it poops or cries, I'm game!

Ya hear that Robyn? Time to get a bun in the oven!

Sure. As long as I still get my daily requirement of 13 hours of sleep, continue to do a minimum of 200 jumps a year, and don't have to touch it if it poops or cries, I'm game!

Umm, yeah... let me know how that works out for ya.