LuckyMcSwervy

Have You Ever Had That Feeling...

Yep! I used to work for an airline so I flew standby quite often. There were a few times where I'd get to my destination only to find out that all the flights home were full. I also have gotten stuck in a connecting airport. Nothing quite like sleeping in the airport and hoping to catch a flight the next day.

At least if you are a paying passenger, the airlines will sometimes try to help you out if you get stuck somewhere.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Ahh... I actually bought the travel insurance for $18 when I made the flight reservation. I'm printing out the policy now so I'm not exactly sure how it would work with a weather delay/cancellation/etc. I've actually decided to just do carry on (God help me) so my stuff stays with me and not en route to somewhere I'm not.

I'll be in Florida so there's worse places to be "stuck" but I'm more worried about paying for an expensive hotel room if my flight is cancelled (not getting a reimbursement if that's how this thing works).
Always be kinder than you feel.

LuckyMcSwervy

Doesn't sound like the airline HAS to help you out for weather related delays/cancellations. Maybe that's why we see so many people camping at the airport on the news?

Yup. For things within the airlines' control (maintenance, crew problems, etc.) they are required to provide food/lodging for passengers who are delayed significantly - typically they'll give you a voucher for an airport or nearby hotel (so no cash actually changes hands). Weather... nothing's required. I have gotten lodging provided before but it's very rare.

That said, if you do get stuck, ask the airline if they have negotiated discounts - often times you can get a really steep discount at an airport hotel. I recall getting stuck in Denver a few years back and getting a rate in the $40s at the airport Courtyard, which was then an almost-new hotel.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

***Doesn't sound like the airline HAS to help you out for weather related delays/cancellations. Maybe that's why we see so many people camping at the airport on the news?

Yup. For things within the airlines' control (maintenance, crew problems, etc.) they are required to provide food/lodging for passengers who are delayed significantly - typically they'll give you a voucher for an airport or nearby hotel (so no cash actually changes hands). Weather... nothing's required. I have gotten lodging provided before but it's very rare.

That said, if you do get stuck, ask the airline if they have negotiated discounts - often times you can get a really steep discount at an airport hotel. I recall getting stuck in Denver a few years back and getting a rate in the $40s at the airport Courtyard, which was then an almost-new hotel.

Thanks! I know beggars can't be choosers when it comes to a hotel, if that happens, but the hotels in the area of this airport are freakin' shady. Where I'm staying, which is sort of close to the airport, is kind of pricey for the area. If I have to go back there and pay for it, or maybe some kind of discounted rate, then that's what I have to do.

I'm probably getting nervous over nothing but I want to cover my bases. I'm a worrier. :D

Thanks again! :)

LuckyMcSwervy

but the hotels in the area of this airport are freakin' shady. Where I'm staying, which is sort of close to the airport, is kind of pricey for the area. If I have to go back there and pay for it, or maybe some kind of discounted rate, then that's what I have to do.

Yeah, I can't say I've ever been sent anywhere shady by an airline. I've stayed in some sort of dumpy, less-than-updated hotels, but they all felt safe enough. Airlines have always sent me to a major chain, not a local hotel.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

*** but the hotels in the area of this airport are freakin' shady. Where I'm staying, which is sort of close to the airport, is kind of pricey for the area. If I have to go back there and pay for it, or maybe some kind of discounted rate, then that's what I have to do.

Yeah, I can't say I've ever been sent anywhere shady by an airline. I've stayed in some sort of dumpy, less-than-updated hotels, but they all felt safe enough. Airlines have always sent me to a major chain, not a local hotel.

Probably my biggest concern. And bedbugs. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: