ChrisMattock

Scam Alert

Hi guys...

For some reason I can't post in "Forums: Dropzone.com: Security and Scam Alerts" but I wanted to report a scam I received trying to sell my rig.

(http://www.dropzone.com/classifieds/Detailed/Complete_Systems/Vector_III_Sabre_2_170_Vigil_AAD_Skyhook_and_all_the_options..._170938.html) - shameless plug.

Anyway I received the following email:

Hi Christopher Mattock,

On 19-Feb-2015 someone submitted their contact information in response to your ad in the Dropzone.com Classifieds. Please reply to this email to contact the person directly.

Username => tsche566

URL => http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/jump.cgi?Detailed=170938

Name => Thomas Scherff

FromEmail => [email protected]

City =>

Country =>

Comments => I am interested in buying your Vector III, Sabre 2 (170), Vigil AAD, Skyhook and would like to receive additional information about it, such as present condition, last asking price and pics if available, i will like to pay with PayPal. Here's my email-([email protected])

Regards.
Thomas Scherff.

Aaaaaanyway, after some emails back and forth he basically asked me to transfer some money to his pickup agent:

I was just about to make the payment when i had a little problem with my pick-up agent, as i explained to you earlier that i am currently out to sea, i tried to book a pick-up with my pick up agent but they asked me to pay first before they can make the booking, they only accept western union money transfer for their payment's and i tried to send the money online but i could not, I'll like to know if i can be able to entrust the pick up agent fee in your possession so that i will include their fee in the payment that i am going to make, my pick up agent charged is £1,350 plus Insurance and some other document for the pick-up, so after you have received the payment you will help me send the £1,350 to my pick up agent through western union money transfer, this i would have done myself and not bother you but for the fact that i am currently on sea, i just wanted to seek your consent before going ahead with the payment, i will appreciate it if you mail me back, and i will made the payments shortly......awaiting your response.

So perhaps someone else can post this to the relevant place?

Thanks!

We aren't allowed to start threads in the scam forum. That's reserved for the admin/mods.

There's a "seller scam" link in the classifieds page, right below the search.

It takes you to HERE and details how to report it.

Yours sounds like a very typical "I'll send you extra money to send to my shipper via Western Union" scam.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Yep turns out I don't read so good... at the bottom of the email it says to:

If you suspect this is a scam:

1) Visit the Security Forum to see if it has already been reported:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?forum=44

2) If not, forward the entire email to [email protected]

So I have now forwarded the email chain along to the address provided.

OOOOPS! Sorry!

I am interested in buying your Vector III, Sabre 2 (170), Vigil AAD, Skyhook

usually this response should be a red flag. I would think most people would respond with hey I am interested in your vector, or hey I am interested in your rig, or hey I saw your ad and was wondering....

ChrisMattock

Yep turns out I don't read so good... at the bottom of the email it says to:

If you suspect this is a scam:

1) Visit the Security Forum to see if it has already been reported:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?forum=44

2) If not, forward the entire email to [email protected]

So I have now forwarded the email chain along to the address provided.

OOOOPS! Sorry!

Meh. No biggie. You're new.

Some of the stuff that is "obvious" to those of us that spend waaaaay too much time on here isn't always really apparent at first.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Re: [tred] Scam Alert
Oh I was pretty sure it was a scam straight away... but I have time on my hands and thought I'd play it out a bit... maybe it wasn't a scam, worst case scenario, I waste some of the scammer's time. :)

Re: [wolfriverjoe] Scam Alert

Thanks for understanding... should I delete this thread now? Or just leave it up...