base283

Alkaline water immersion?

I thought alkaline had a high pH and acidic had a low pH? I thought a pH of 3 would be pretty acidic. I think acid rain has a pH in the high 3s or around 4...

edited becuase i can't spell.

I think when Jesus said "love your enemy" he probably meant don't kill them.

Does anyone have info on the effect of alkaline water (PH 3) on nylon. I'm looking at a water landing and the water has a very low PH

If my memories of my old chemisty classes, Alkaline is with a pH value of more then 7. Its the opposite of acid. A pH of 3 is quite acid.

And to further confuse things, I think a high pH actually means a low value for the pH number. Any chemists to confirm?
Remster

pH is the log of the hydrogen ion concentration. Neutral is considered 7. Acid is anything lower, basic (or alkaline) is anything higher. And "high ph" means just that, a high number and basic conditions.

Now landing in pH 3 water? Forget the parachute, worry about you! Don't you know how the mob gets rid of bodies.;) Okay, not that bad but I still wouldn't want to go swimming in it. Swimming pools are 6.8 to 7.8. And remember that 5 is ten times more acidic than 6. And what the hell is in it making it pH 3! This sounds like a sulfur spring or maybe a lake in an active volcanic crater.

Forget this jump for lots of reasons. If it really is pH 3.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

pH is acidic. As a rigger I would ground the rig and canopies until they were tested/evaluated by the manufacturer or a qualified loft. If it was my rig I'd probably just throw it away, as I wouldn't trust it. If I got my stuff wet in some unknown pH pond I'd certainly rinse thoroughly in clean, neutral water immediately.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History