ckeck

Questions about equip purchase...

Hello everyone, I just have a few quick equipment questions...

I am very new to this sport...currently going through the AFF certification and hope to be done in 2-3 weeks.

I am considering purchasing new equipment for myself, because I want something custom made for myself and want it to last for a while.

I am looking for some recommendations...

I have been looking around a bit and for a harness/container I think the 'Javelin Odyssey' would work well...any thoughts?

Now, when it comes to canopies and reserves, I have no clue what I should be looking for...any advice would be appreciated...

Also, I am looking for a nice jumpsuit as well...any suggestions? I plan on eventually doing some video...so I don't know if that will matter...

And most of the little things I can probably figure out...but if you think I am overlooking anything, please let me know...

Thanks in advance for all your advice/help...

-Chad

You ask the weekly question!;)

This article will help, as will a search for "first rig".

I personally love my Wings. I don't like the main flap design of Javelins/Odysseys, i think it's outdated and tends to open (i know it doesn't open every jump every rig, but i've seen it happen on many).
My 2 cents...
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I am considering purchasing new equipment for myself, because I want something custom made for myself and want it to last for a while.

You may want to consider getting something used until you decide what size canopy (and appropriately sized container) you are comfortable with having for a while. Also, you may wait months for a new container to be built for you depending on the time of year and could order something that is right for now but you won't be happy with by then.

I am looking for some recommendations...

Do searches here as opinions have been discussed a lot around here.

As for jumpsuits, you need to decide whether to buy RW or freefly. Personally, my nice RW suit is collecting dust for $300, but I do need it to slow my butt down enough to do RW. I'm happy with my suits made in Lake Wales: Freak n Suits and Windline RW.

Blues

jib

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I would suggest talking with your instructors. They would know much more about your performance in the air as well as under canopy. Check-out web pages of the various manufacturers. Shop around. This will be a big investment for you and you want to be happy with what you select. Take your time and don't rush into buying. Welcome to our sport and all the best to you!

Chuck

I'm happy with my suits made in Lake Wales: Freak n Suits and Windline RW.

WORD! I just got my first Freakin" Suit early this year and i couldn't be happier. Compared to my sweater/baggy FF-Pantz combo, i suddenly have a range of flight that reflects how i fly my body!:)I never thought it would make such a difference.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Ok, I think I decided on the type of gear that I want to plan on purchasing...I spoke with a few different people about this, and keep in mind...I will be ordering this gear in about 2 months...prob after I have 30-35'ish jumps...

Harness/Container: Aerodyne Icon Sport (w/ RSL & Hackey Handle)
Main Canopy: Aerodyne Pilot 188
Reserve Canopy: Aerodyne Smart Reserve 190

I weight about 185 lbs, so about 200-205 w/ gear...

What do you guys think about that? Also, I will mainly be doing freeflying and plan to get into videography...so what type of jumpsuit should I be looking for?

Thanks...

-Chad

dont buy new. seriously. do not buy new, especially this early. I am your same weight. I can tell you that a 190-class canopy is something you should rent from your dz or borrow or demo for a few jumps. you will be off of it very quickly. I bought a sabre2-170 as a my first canopy just a bit after 20 jumps and I'm nothing more than an average canopy pilot. I put 200 jumps on that thing and now have a sabre2-150 although i really enjoy borrowing my friend's 135. You are going to end up giving the second owner a sweet deal on that 188 if you buy it new. Plus your container wont be able to hold anything much smaller and that thing will have to go too. More money down the drain.

Go buy a used container/harness and possibly a cypress. Call PD and start demoing canopies. In fact, call all the manufacturer's and do it. A 170 is a good place to be at your weight for a first canopy.

Also, I personally recommend getting a 9-cell. Stay away from the triathalon... in my opinion its lame. not bad or dangerous.. just lame. i personally enjoy the better glide ratio a 9-cell delivers. That's my opinion, and there will surely be 25 trolls posting flaming disagreements. so remember.. its just my OPINION. people like different things from their canopies, and i've explained my preference.

Cheers,
Abbie
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

Hey Chad.. Someone earlier in this thread suggested used and I heartily agree.. Although the rig you are considering is an awesome rig, you will probably be wondering why you bought that huge thing 200 jumps from now. And when you go to sell it, you will lose some serious cash on it. I have 2 rigs.. one I bought new and have close to $5k invested in.. I might be able to get $3k for it.. The other I bought used and have about $2k invested in.. I am sure I can get $2k out of it.. why does the resale value matter? If you jump alot, you will outgrow the Pilot 188 quickly, and a smaller canopy will be fine in that rig.. maybe even 2 sizes smaller main will be ok.. but when you are jumping a 150 or a 135 and lugging around a 190 reserve.. you will want a smaller container. If you buy used, you can change gear without alot of financial pain. There is plenty of good used stuff right here in the classifieds. Spend your money wisely.. you got alot of jump tickets and beer to buy.. ;)

Jump suit.. since you asked.. I freefly and do video.. tandems, freefly and RW.. For tandems and RW I use a camera jacket and my freefly pants. I would get a 2-piece freefly suit. After you get enough jumps to fly camera, buy a camera jacket to go with it.
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures