lomcovak

Back after a long gap and loving it!

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking the forums for a couple of months and thought it was about time to say hello. I returned to skydiving this May after having done 9 s/l jumps with rounds in the UK during my student days in 1985 and 1986. That low number of jumps doesn't adequately reflect the number of weekends spent at Headcorn watching the overcast, drizzle and out-of-limit winds and drinking copious pints of bitter and crashing on skid row. I even had time to get a packing certificate for those old WW2 canopies. How things have changed, I hope I never have to pack one of those again!

I have never really been into traditional sports, only adventure sports in air and water; I flew gliders as a teenager and after university got busy with flying, PPL etc and flew aerobatic competitions in a Pitts S2-B. Now, many years later having moved to BC Canada and after quitting dangerous stuff long ago to raise three kids I found myself with an empty nest, an ex-wife and a yearning to finish what I started all those years ago. I flew down to Perris in May for AFF and knocked off my A license and have racked up 122 more jumps since then. It was cool that my 6,000-skydive, national competitor instructor was born two years after I first skydived! What can I say? My life has changed; I think I'm addicted, skydiving is on my mind constantly.

I'm a member of both the USPA and CSPA, I have a USPA A and a CSPA B, being in both system is a bit more expensive but each includes skills ommitted by the other, for example the USPA B includes water training, the CSPA B requires back or sit flying. I think this will be a good experience to go through both systems.

Sadly my local DZ has pretty much closed down for the winter here in BC and so I'm planning a grand tour of dropzones for the winter in my Westfalia with my little rescue pup Perris (that's where I found him), probably spending xmas at and new years at Perris/Eloy assuming my van makes it all the way! (I think I'll pack a tent in-case it doesn't. ) I've got about ten DZs to visit on my route and I'm hoping to get in a whole bunch of jumps over the winter (and hopefully a little tunnel time) before our season starts up again here in BC so I can get to work on my Coach 1, C license and do tandem outside video next year. It's now been two weeks since I jumped and I'm missing my fix. I think that skydiving perfectly complements my yearning for road-tripping in my Westy and if I can camp for free at DZs with all the facilities then skydiving just became the ultimate snowbirder activity!

California, ohhhh California I'm comin on home... If you're on my route say hello when you see the English guy with the little white dog!
"Now, why do witches burn?"
"...because they're made of... wood?"
"Good. So how do you tell whether she is made of wood?"
"Build a bridge out of her."