Aaron27

Rant from a first time jumper...

I've always been terrified of heights, and I've never been much of an adrenaline junkie. I've always been the guy who gets jelly legs when going more than 3 steps up a ladder. I once worked in a warehouse and everyone would laugh when I had to use the forklift to get something from one of the top racks 30 or so feet up...thankfully this was before the camera phone era :)
I pretty much expected that I would freeze up in the plane, and either cower in the fetal position in the corner, or get close to the exit and need to be pushed out as I wet myself. But a weird thing happened...On the ride up I became incredibly excited. Everything from the roar of the twin engines, to the systematic removal of seat belts and equipment checks by all jumpers, to the unexpected view out of the door that seemed to be open almost the entire ride up....I was aware and living during every passing second.

We were the last jumpers out so it could have been so easy to wuss out, but that thought never even crossed my mind. I knew I was doing this. I was ready, maybe a little nervous, but I had already made my decision that I was landing back on the earth under my instructor's canopy.

Then came our turn, I made the jump, had the biggest, dorkiest smile I've had in a long time, and freakin' loved every second of it!

Before the jump I figured that any memory of the fall would mostly be a blur stored away in a distant part of my memory, but I was completely aware during the whole fall. In fact, the best way I have found to describe the experience to friends and family is that I didn't feel like I was falling at all, but rather just floating high above with 120mph wind blowing in my face. I remember looking around and being eye level with distant mountains, it was such a strange experience!

I don't know if the instructor I had was in a hurry to get down or just trying to have fun, but after opening the canopy we did some spirals downward - that was awesome! The entire canopy ride down was its own experience, not necessary better than the free fall, but more like the icing on the cake!

As soon as we landed I couldn't understand how I could have actually enjoyed what I just did. I always thought this would be the most terrifying experience, yet somehow I just had the most amazing thing ever happen. So I asked myself, "Did I really enjoy that, or was this just a fluke? Was this nothing more than a severe adrenaline rush, or something more?" I knew what I had to do; one more tandem to see if I really could do this kind of thing again. So I went back to the office, signed right back up and did another tandem the next day. The experience was just as awesome as the first.

That was 2 months ago and I haven't been able to stop thinking about going back up again. Maybe the 2nd jump should have been an AFF jump, but at least I know for sure this is something I definitely want to do. I know AFF is completely different than a tandem ride, but I'm pretty certain this is what I want need to do.

Sorry for such a long rant, but I had to get that out of my system. To summarize my overall feelings: I faced what I thought was my biggest fear only to find something I think I might love. I'm sure if I start AFF and go solo there will be things that will scare the crap out of me in ways I can't imagine, but I believe I'm ready to confront those challenges.

By the way, hello to everyone! B|

Congrats on your tandem and new found interest

I have just completed AFF only last week, so all my thoughts and feelings of the course are pretty darned fresh - which puts me in a decent position to comment, I think

Having done a "tick the box - never again" tandem earlier in the year, I swore upon landing that whatever about becoming a skydiver, I had to do one more jump. That was a fact. I couldnt just walk away from that tandem and never jump again.

So I signed up for AFF with the intention of doing just one jump and then re-assessing

Having completed ground school and AFF1, I thought, "sure, I'll do the next one and see..."
I was just sort of terrified on AFF2 for some reason and I thought on the plane that this was it for me - no more after this one - skydiving was not going to be my bag
But I couldnt walk away without doing another one and letting "the fear" get the better of me - I thought to myself "all i have to do is 5 more to complete this darned course and then I close this stupid chapter and walk away from it all"
AFF3, it was the greatest jump ever - totally let go by both instructors and just falling on my own (they were right beside me of course)
The following days, I bought a proper hard back log book, alti, goggles and helmet - commitment!!
That was it - I was going to finish the course and most likely, keep going.

AFF4 called for a repeat and AFF5 was a breeze
AFF6 & 7 are possibly the most fun I've had with my pants on - brilliant, brilliant fun - and a great confindence builder

So with the course complete, I'm now about to step out into the solo world of consol jumps

My advice to you, coming from a totally new guy fresh of the boat? Go with it - sign up for AFF and take it one jump at a time - mentally dive every single jump a hundred times - do it until you dont have to think about it - you dont (sorry, I didnt) have the mental capacity to think "whats next" on my first few jumps whilst also trying to take on board the barrage of hand signals and communications coming your way during freefall - I needed to have the dive nailed before I even loaded

Do not underestimate the intensity of the first 3-4 jumps - Its not like tandem - this is you - you are the person in charge - its like getting from the passenger seat to the driver seat
Its called AFF for a reason - but, it does get easier by jump 5 - the pressure is off a good bit and it then turns more into fun rather than a grilling by the instructors and the pressure to perform

Go over the landing patterns and rules - watch a bunch of landings before you load - see what people are doing - dont rely on the radio - mine failed on AFF1!! Know what you're going to do before you load - study the DZ landing areas and outs - watch the weather sock! ASK ASK ASK your instructors
I asked more questions in ground school than all the other 7 students combined - this stuff is important and its better to know it on the ground rather than up top, wondering

You'll learn something about yourself with every single jump
You'll learn patience and sitting about - use that time to talk to everyone and anyone - get someone to lay out a canopy flatpack style - it'll really give you a visual of what you've got over your head
Watch some people packing
Ask a million questions - but always be aware of the source - and do nothing without speaking with your instructors - they know what they're talking about and they know you
I have 1 million percent faith in my instructors - they're an awesome bunch of folk - and you get a different slant from each of them - they all their ways and mannerisms - I found it beneficial that I was mixed up with each of them over the entire course - I got little bits of difference from each - just like any walk of life

Now, with all that waffle over, God Speed - its the experience of a life time - I know I'm only a new guy, but if I never even jumped again, I've learned more over the last few months than I have my entire life
Life is for living - not exisiting

Also, these are just my ramblings - take everything I say with a pinch of salt and speak with your instructors
The only absolutes in the above, are my feelings and thoughts about what I've just been through!

Love to follow your story as you make your way

Rant? What rant?
That was an amazing life story. It's really awesome to see someone overcome his fear of heights the way you did.
I can certainly tell by your writing that you enjoyed every second of it, and I can certainly relate to the experience of your very first Tandem jump (As I did my first tandem jump back in May.)

A rant is something negative IMO. (Like a complaint). But this post is nothing but an awesome positive experience!

I wish you good luck with your AFF! It really is different from tandem as this time you have to do all the work yourself. But the adrenaline kick and general experience of free fall is pretty much the same.

Thanks for the advice from your AFF experience! I think what helped me most on my first tandem was mentally preparing for that moment for so long. I've been scouring youtube videos to watch the progress of others going through AFF. I want to be as prepared as possible before I start!

When you signed up for AFF did you do a package deal, or just pay for each jump individually? I'm not really sure if it makes a big difference, but just curious how other people pay for their AFF jumps.

I paid per jump. As I was unsure as to how far I intended to progress. There was also no price difference to paying all up front.
Would have been a bummer to pay all up and then not want to proceed after one or two jumps.

You tube was great for me also. I watched loads of aff so that I'd have some sort of idea what to expect.

Please do keep us updated on your progress.

Aaron27

When you signed up for AFF did you do a package deal, or just pay for each jump individually? I'm not really sure if it makes a big difference, but just curious how other people pay for their AFF jumps.

I'm paying per jump. The price difference was minimal and if I'm not happy with the school for some reason, it'll be easier to switch.