RupertHolmes

Preparing for AFF in N. FL. Looking for a little advice/opinion of DZ's

I've been a lurker for some time. Off and on since doing my first tandem quite some time ago and am finally planning on pulling the trigger on my AFF license. I've read a ton of the forums in regards to the 2 DZ's I'm considering based off of my location on Amelia Island which is just north of Jacksonville, FL. The 2 are Deland and Skydive Palatka. I guess I'm just looking for a little more direct input from anyone that has taken their AFF at either location and maybe what really would make them recommend it to someone in my shoes. Palatka is a shorter drive which is a plus but of course I will drive to a further DZ if it's more recommended. Im planning for either the latter part of Nov. Or early Dec. Thanks in advance for info or direction. I really do appreciate it. I think these forums are insanely creditable and helpful for anyone at any stage in the sport from everything I've read thus far.

Rupert

I flew from the UK to do my AFF at Deland just over 2 years ago. Its difficult to know what to look for in a DZ when entering the sport but Deland has everything from a tunnel (in Orlando), student landing area, good student kit, nice mock up (pretend plane door to practice on) great restaurant and bar and friendly locals :)

I've been back 4 times :-D

Blue Skies and enjoy!

Steve

shorehambeach

Rupert

I flew from the UK to do my AFF at Deland just over 2 years ago. Its difficult to know what to look for in a DZ when entering the sport but Deland has everything from a tunnel (in Orlando), student landing area, good student kit, nice mock up (pretend plane door to practice on) great restaurant and bar and friendly locals :)

I've been back 4 times :-D

Blue Skies and enjoy!

Steve

Steve,
I appreciate the input. It definitely sounds like Deland treated you right. Especially traveling all the way from the UK.

I will be completing my level 7 jump at deland on Monday. The whole AFF course has been awesome! Lots of instruction and from 3-4 different instructors which IMO it's better to learn from many people. I live in jacksonville so it is a little further away but I don't mind. After I get my A license I will check out other DZs around Florida and south GA. Like others have said great DZ, gear shop, food, vibe. Jumping out of the skyvan is a huge plus too. Good luck and blue sky's!