BlueSkies415

Injured AFF Student New Here

Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm new to drop zone and wanted to say Hi. I started my AFF in Chicago and was transferred to Arizona (fine by me because you can skydive more out here anyway). Got my AFF started back when I got out here in Maricopa. Had an injury on my AFF 2 and was in the hospital for about a week. Probably in another 2 months I should be good to go back up again. I can't wait and not going to let the injury slow me down. Which leads me to my next question for anyone who has been through it. I'm sure the first time I go up after getting injured that there's going to be some anxiety due to the last jump. I'm sure just relax, don't over think it and of course hope to not make the same mistake again. Anyways, thanks for reading this and I'm happy to have become a part of this board. Blue skies and have a great day everyone!

Shawn

BlueSkies415

Anyways, thanks for reading this and I'm happy to have become a part of this board. Blue skies and have a great day everyone!

Shawn

Shwan, Shit happens, i had a couple of injuries during my AFF (AFF1 started right with a ruptured Meniscus) - you get that
stuff early out of the way and then have no issues anymore later in your Skydiving career ,-))
get better soon !
what happend to you anyway?

Hi Shawn,

I've recently been in a similar situation as you are in right now. On 28th December 2013 i did my Stage 1 AFF. I didn't flare on time while landing and hit the ground real hard. Broke my tibia, fibula, dislocated my ankle tore ligaments, etc etc. Here's a video taken by a fellow student-

http://s833.photobucket.com/user/ssr1984/media/Accident_zps42a26ed9.mp4.html

Anyway, it was pretty depressing at first, but I got over it eventually and decided to get back as soon as my leg gets fixed. I guess the thought of getting back to skydiving was what made me get back up on my feet. On March 16 2014, I did return and did my jump again. Got everything right this time around. I have gone upto stage 4 so far, but have been stuck here for a while due to work and other commitments.

When I went back for the jump after the injury, I was pretty anxious, especially about the landing part. However, my jumpmasters told me to focus on the task in hand and deal with things one by one. I heard the term "relax" a million times. I just remained positive and somehow did it.

I am not experienced enough to be advising you, but I wish you good luck. I'm sure you'll be fine next time around when you jump.

Thank you guys for the responses, I appreciate it. I'm looking forward to getting back up there. Our injuries were much the same. My instructors thought my landing looked perfect. I chose to land in the holding area, and unfortunately the arizona desert terrain isn't very forgiving. I hit a pretty large rock with my right foot and everything went downhill from there. I broke my leg, my ankle, foot and tore some ligaments. I also cracked the bone on my T1 in my spine. Surprising enough my spine/back didn't hurt at all. After reviewing things, I definitely should have flared much harder at landing. I guess lesson learned though. Again, thanks for the reply, good luck to you too my friend!

RAO, Skymama, and Hollywood, thanks a bunch for advice and responses. I greatly appreciate it. I can't wait to get back up, although I know I will have a little anxiety. But I won't make the same mistake again (hopefully). Thanks again. And hopefully this post doesn't come up three times as I appear to be having some computer issues.

Shawn